Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   need some advice on T-350 and torque converter (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/need-some-advice-t-350-torque-converter-173814.html)

SBCfan04 03-02-2010 08:41 AM

need some advice on T-350 and torque converter

hey everyone i need some advice about picking a transmission and torque converter.

Engine is a Small block chevy 400(bored out .040) with 9.3 compression lunati voodoo cam duration at 050 is (Int/Exh): 213/219
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.468 LSA/ICL: 112/108 it also has an edelbrock 750 carb.
Estimated hp is around 410 horse and 525 Lbs. Ft. of torque.
This engine is in a truck 78 gmc jimmy with 4WD used for daily driving, some towing camping trailer 7000 and boat 2500, off road a little. Im not sure how to pick a torque converter for my application so any advice would be great!

Also i want to buy a new transmission i dont know how ot rebuild one so im just going to buy, i was looking at a TH350 monster transmission at eat my shift.com but i dont know if they have good reviews or not so any advice here would be good too!

Thanks for reading,

Mike

delawarebill 03-02-2010 09:21 AM

tranny

me personally i'd use a th400.. but the th350 will work.. as for a converter... just use a stock one. that would be around 1500rpm unit. u don't need one in the 2000+ for normal use.

sqzbox 03-02-2010 09:50 AM

If I were you, I would look into a shift improver kit. With the towing you do, a high stall converter is going to build a lot of heat and will need a GOOD cooling system to keep temperatures down.
Your also looking at a lot of work! I'd rather pull 2 engines than have to pull a tranny with the transfer case. The transfer weighs a ton and in my opinion, is a pain in the butt.
Unless you have the money to get someone else to do the work (which is the easiest way). :D

SBCfan04 03-02-2010 12:50 PM

its good that you said to use a stock converter because it turns out that i called lunati and they said my cam can be used with a stock torque converter.

The reason im wanting to change trannys is becaue the one in it is a stock th350, and the engine is making more power than stock and the fluid is still red but with some black in it. i think the more power from the engine is burning stuff up in there. i dont know the diffrence between the th350 and th400, is the th400 better? and if it is, how much do i ahve to change to install that rather than the th350

Also the tranny is cooled by a 4 core radiator and i also added an aftermarket trans cooler that sits in front of the radiator.

BBCMudbogger 03-02-2010 02:27 PM

It aint that bad sqz...I use a tranny jack an strap the transmission tight to the jack....in and out no sweat...change one in just a few hours. The 350 will be fine. To go to a 400 you'd have to get a transfer case with the right input and the right adapter but I think there are holes in the frame for either the 350 or 400 crossmember location but it ain't hard to fix that.

sqzbox 03-03-2010 12:37 AM

Maybe it's the age thing :D I was a week from swapping out the tranny and transfer when I found the gov. was bad in my TH350. I was having some pressure problems in third gear. It would just go into neutral like mode while cruising down the road in third. I was stumped as to what the problem was. Someone on this site mentioned the gov. along with the modulator, and a host of other idea's.
For that, I'm forever grateful as I still have the rebuilt tranny siting on the floor collecting dust! :D I was planing to try the engine hoist through the passenger door thing through the hump on the floor. I remember lifting it out of the truck when I bought it and it seemed to have a close balance with a strap around the tranny tail and the transfer. ;)

sooper 03-04-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBCfan04
hey everyone i need some advice about picking a transmission and torque converter.

Engine is a Small block chevy 400(bored out .040) with 9.3 compression lunati voodoo cam duration at 050 is (Int/Exh): 213/219
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.468 LSA/ICL: 112/108 it also has an edelbrock 750 carb.
Estimated hp is around 410 horse and 525 Lbs. Ft. of torque.
This engine is in a truck 78 gmc jimmy with 4WD used for daily driving, some towing camping trailer 7000 and boat 2500, off road a little. Im not sure how to pick a torque converter for my application so any advice would be great!

Also i want to buy a new transmission i dont know how ot rebuild one so im just going to buy, i was looking at a TH350 monster transmission at eat my shift.com but i dont know if they have good reviews or not so any advice here would be good too!

Thanks for reading,

Mike

I just rebuilt a th350 with the B&M 30229 kit and a Ron Sessions book. And I hated every step of it. Now let me say in fairness I hate fluid anything. If the thing starts with the word hyd I hates it. That all being said I can say in all honesty a well built DIY th350 is more than up to it and uses less of the power your looking to make than a t400

F-BIRD'88 03-07-2010 09:42 AM

The OEM stock GM 12" torque converter from most th350's will do fine. It gives 2100 stall behind a 350cid motor and 2500 stall Behind a 454cid motor (higher engine torque). The 400sbc with the 12" th350 converter will stall right about in the middle of that range.

Some th350's came with a larger diameter low stall 13" torque converter. You want the 12" converter.
If your th350 has seen better days, yank it out and take it to a qualified transmission rebuilder shop. These are simple reliable transmissions usually don't cost much to rebuild/overhaul.
Qualified trans tech's do these trans with their eyes closed.
Adding a TransGo "shift kit" valve body upgrade/reprograming kit is a good idea while its being rebuilt.
The transmission shop will usually have these in stock.
If you don't have the right 12" torque converter the trans shop can get you a good remanufactured one also. Your application does not require a "high stall conveter".
You can save money by doing the transmission R&R yourself.