need some advice on T-350 and torque converter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

need some advice on T-350 and torque converter

hey everyone i need some advice about picking a transmission and torque converter.

Engine is a Small block chevy 400(bored out .040) with 9.3 compression lunati voodoo cam duration at 050 is (Int/Exh): 213/219
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.468 LSA/ICL: 112/108 it also has an edelbrock 750 carb.
Estimated hp is around 410 horse and 525 Lbs. Ft. of torque.
This engine is in a truck 78 gmc jimmy with 4WD used for daily driving, some towing camping trailer 7000 and boat 2500, off road a little. Im not sure how to pick a torque converter for my application so any advice would be great!

Also i want to buy a new transmission i dont know how ot rebuild one so im just going to buy, i was looking at a TH350 monster transmission at eat my shift.com but i dont know if they have good reviews or not so any advice here would be good too!

Thanks for reading,

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

tranny

me personally i'd use a th400.. but the th350 will work.. as for a converter... just use a stock one. that would be around 1500rpm unit. u don't need one in the 2000+ for normal use.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If I were you, I would look into a shift improver kit. With the towing you do, a high stall converter is going to build a lot of heat and will need a GOOD cooling system to keep temperatures down.
Your also looking at a lot of work! I'd rather pull 2 engines than have to pull a tranny with the transfer case. The transfer weighs a ton and in my opinion, is a pain in the butt.
Unless you have the money to get someone else to do the work (which is the easiest way).
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM

its good that you said to use a stock converter because it turns out that i called lunati and they said my cam can be used with a stock torque converter.

The reason im wanting to change trannys is becaue the one in it is a stock th350, and the engine is making more power than stock and the fluid is still red but with some black in it. i think the more power from the engine is burning stuff up in there. i dont know the diffrence between the th350 and th400, is the th400 better? and if it is, how much do i ahve to change to install that rather than the th350

Also the tranny is cooled by a 4 core radiator and i also added an aftermarket trans cooler that sits in front of the radiator.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

It aint that bad sqz...I use a tranny jack an strap the transmission tight to the jack....in and out no sweat...change one in just a few hours. The 350 will be fine. To go to a 400 you'd have to get a transfer case with the right input and the right adapter but I think there are holes in the frame for either the 350 or 400 crossmember location but it ain't hard to fix that.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Maybe it's the age thing I was a week from swapping out the tranny and transfer when I found the gov. was bad in my TH350. I was having some pressure problems in third gear. It would just go into neutral like mode while cruising down the road in third. I was stumped as to what the problem was. Someone on this site mentioned the gov. along with the modulator, and a host of other idea's.
For that, I'm forever grateful as I still have the rebuilt tranny siting on the floor collecting dust! I was planing to try the engine hoist through the passenger door thing through the hump on the floor. I remember lifting it out of the truck when I bought it and it seemed to have a close balance with a strap around the tranny tail and the transfer.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCfan04
hey everyone i need some advice about picking a transmission and torque converter.

Engine is a Small block chevy 400(bored out .040) with 9.3 compression lunati voodoo cam duration at 050 is (Int/Exh): 213/219
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.468 LSA/ICL: 112/108 it also has an edelbrock 750 carb.
Estimated hp is around 410 horse and 525 Lbs. Ft. of torque.
This engine is in a truck 78 gmc jimmy with 4WD used for daily driving, some towing camping trailer 7000 and boat 2500, off road a little. Im not sure how to pick a torque converter for my application so any advice would be great!

Also i want to buy a new transmission i dont know how ot rebuild one so im just going to buy, i was looking at a TH350 monster transmission at eat my shift.com but i dont know if they have good reviews or not so any advice here would be good too!

Thanks for reading,

Mike
I just rebuilt a th350 with the B&M 30229 kit and a Ron Sessions book. And I hated every step of it. Now let me say in fairness I hate fluid anything. If the thing starts with the word hyd I hates it. That all being said I can say in all honesty a well built DIY th350 is more than up to it and uses less of the power your looking to make than a t400
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The OEM stock GM 12" torque converter from most th350's will do fine. It gives 2100 stall behind a 350cid motor and 2500 stall Behind a 454cid motor (higher engine torque). The 400sbc with the 12" th350 converter will stall right about in the middle of that range.

Some th350's came with a larger diameter low stall 13" torque converter. You want the 12" converter.
If your th350 has seen better days, yank it out and take it to a qualified transmission rebuilder shop. These are simple reliable transmissions usually don't cost much to rebuild/overhaul.
Qualified trans tech's do these trans with their eyes closed.
Adding a TransGo "shift kit" valve body upgrade/reprograming kit is a good idea while its being rebuilt.
The transmission shop will usually have these in stock.
If you don't have the right 12" torque converter the trans shop can get you a good remanufactured one also. Your application does not require a "high stall conveter".
You can save money by doing the transmission R&R yourself.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.