Need some advise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need some advice

I'm running a set of camel hump heads on my 355ci chevy. I have a XE268cam, flat top pistons, performer rpm intake, and a double pumper carb, th350 tranns, and 3.08 gears. I had a machine shop go over the heads and they changed the valves, seats, springs, and so on. After about 500 miles the engine started smoking slightly and its only gotten worse. Now I burn about a quart every 350 miles. I did a compression test and everything is fine. 4 of the 8 plugs are wet with oil so this leads me to believe valve guides/stem seals. I have a bad detonation problem probably from the carbon build-up in the combustion chamber causing hot spots. So here's my question.......Is it worth it to putz around with the double humps(seems like they're not what they used to be with todays heads being better)? Had the head work done when I was stuck in Georgia so it's kind of hard to go back 4 years later and complain. I wouldn't mind just buying a new set of heads and putting these in a box for 40 years. If I do buy new heads what chamber size and intake runner do you think will work the best with my engine setup. Engine is in a 83 Silverado 4X4. Thanks for the help, really leaning on buying new heads.

Advertisement

Last edited by sam83k10; 07-11-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Have you checked to make sure it`s not the intake leaking? Sometimes it`ll show no signs other than smoke and oil use. Pull the carb, if you see oil in the intake plenum you have a vacuum leak at the gaskets. If alls okay then yes I`d suspect it`s either leaking seals or guides, if the machine shop replaced the guides and didn`t get them right and it caused this problem, I would pull the heads and take them back and make them make it right, this is what I did when they told me the guides in my heads were fine when they were in fact worn out. Hump heads are okay, but there are far better heads out there, vortecs will cost you more being you`ll have to get a intake and swap over to self aligning rocker arms. But there are lots more out there that will accept your intake, I would just find a set on the aftermarket with a port size that suited the rest of your combo.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:09 PM

I would have them make it right but its 4 years later and I'm in PA and they are in GA.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Then for right now do the rest of the checks I listed, especially the intake.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

The World S/R heads should be fine for your truck. The smallest combustion chamber is 67cc ands are available with 2.02 or 1.94 intakes. The rest of your combination will work with these after I would check the intake to match sure the gasketrs are fine.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM

ok, i'll check the intake.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 AM

What size combustion chamber cc and what size intake runner do you guys think would work best with my combo?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

hi, i have several sets of the camel humps, i use them for period correct builds on old cars. a couple of years ago i used a set for a restore on a 60s gasser. i did all the port and chamber work and had the machine shop deck em, screw in studs, machine spring pockets, mag, five angle valve job. i supplied all the parts except valve seals keepers and retainers and they cost almost $500. with that said car craft tested a set of the new patriot aluminum heads against a set of prepped vortechs and they were about the same performance wise. the aluminum heads come complete with 1.60/ 2.02 SS valves and 66cc chambers and are priced at $795 a pair. old cast iron vs new aluminum the decision should be a no brainer.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Patriot Heads, what intake runner would best match up to my cam and vehicle weight?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.