Hot Rod Forum banner

need some advise on building paint booth

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so here is the deal 2 years ago I built my workshop its 30x40 12ft inside tall.3 bays

I like doing lot of body/paint work and was thinking to add one more bay to connect to the end of the shop.

as of now not to sure on the size it will be 30ft deep since that's what the shop is now so to keep it the same. as for width need to think about it

so my question is how wide should I make it? I just need it to fit one car etc.

and how should I plan ventilation?

I am in Canada so winter time is a problem since if I put filtered fans lets say in the walls I will draw in cold air. I like to keep it as simple as possible I am 29 and don't have tons to spend into high-tech booth.

EDIT I has this idea.lets say the far wall I add 4 windows and when each window is open I get perfect size filters to fit in. so in other words. when booth is in use open windows and get filtered exhaust. and then when not in use close the windows to keep heat in.

and for pushing air. do I have to have 2 fans blowing in fresh air? or can I have 2 fans mounted on the floor just to push air out the exhaust?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Vent to the out site of building (naturaly) on the wall faceing inside the warm building put your filters and at least one window that way when fan or venting is on your drawing in warm air as long as vent is on there are no fumes in the other part of your shop and you can look in the window to see if paint booth is foggy or clear without having to open door (your wife or girl friend can look in too in case your on the floor because your mask failed! :D ) I like 5 ft. on each side of vehicle in case I need to put parts around vehicle to be painted at same time! all depends(motorcycles small booth, rigs large booth) better to have more room then not enough (dont forget you have to open doors on vehicles) dont forget to be able to have covers for filters so when you shut off vent fumes wont enter shop through filters!! :thumbup: pull a big car like a 70 lincoln into your shop open doors and walk around it like your painting thats how much room you need!! :mwink: I have 2 fans you can always add another later start with one .if you only plan on painting in fair weather and dont have heat your ideas good!! :thumbup:

#8 ·
jss said:
no solvent still. water born needs good heat etc to work pain in the butt lol.
your right soon the law will change and all of America will have to use water base.It will put a lot of little but good shops out of business! Because of the expense of changing the shops over :( !Shops specializing in antiques and classics will be the only ones left that can still use solvent paint! :D Like me :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.