Need some advise on buying a used truck.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need some advise on buying a used truck..

Looking to buy a decent daily driver because my car will be undergoing major surgery soon. I called on this 95 s10 I was interested in and the guy seemed kinda fishy about the whole thing. It all seemed fine until he mentioned that he bought the car from a friend and its still under his name (freinds name). He was like insurance and everything else is under my name but the truck itself is under his friends name. I was like ok, and im not to happy about that. He said he never completed the name change because right after he got his license taken away so it was never a priority. I am going to check out the truck tomarrow and see what kinda shape its in. What do you all think about the truck being under his "buddys" name? He says that he will just transfer from his buddys name to my name so he doesnt have to pay all the fees.

Need advise...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 PM
speed secret: drive fast!!!!!!

sounds like he "borrowed" the truck from a "buddy"
Old 02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

You gotta see that title, and match the vin numbers.
other than that it should be ok.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Before you buy it, you and him go down to the DOT (dept of transport), or whatever it is called in your area, and see if it can legally be changed into your name........any problems and "Forget it"

Budget RVs
Old 02-23-2004, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Poncho hit it right on the head. They could be trying to set you up to get into trouble so they can get some money or something
Old 02-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Be very careful, that is known as selling with an open title. Technically you are buying the car from his buddy, not him. Insist that his buddy get in on the deal, he CAN'T legally sell it to you, only his buddy can. (unless he has a dealer license) DON'T give him any money until you have gone to the DMV or whoever and asked about the title transfer. (it's possible that the title he has has been voided somehow or the VIN is fishy) a stinkin 95 S-10 isn't worth the aggravation, there are millions of them out there with clean and honest paper.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggarmike
Be very careful, that is known as selling with an open title. Technically you are buying the car from his buddy, not him. Insist that his buddy get in on the deal, he CAN'T legally sell it to you, only his buddy can. (unless he has a dealer license) DON'T give him any money until you have gone to the DMV or whoever and asked about the title transfer. (it's possible that the title he has has been voided somehow or the VIN is fishy) a stinkin 95 S-10 isn't worth the aggravation, there are millions of them out there with clean and honest paper.
But but but but but this one is lowered and has rims I am going to call him and ask some more questions to make sure everything is on the up and up. Before I go and check it out I am gonna to have the VIN checked out and make sure he has the pink to it in his possestion.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Think he's gonna listen to us, guys?????

NAW!!!!!!!!

After all, it is lowered and has wheels.................................

Budget RVs
Old 02-23-2004, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Transaction over!!
Asked for adress gave me

13040 glad stone
sylmare CA 91342

Adress cant be found on mapquest so I am not gonna bother with him anymore.

Damn loser.......
Old 02-24-2004, 01:02 AM
il enforcer

I found his address. Try Gladstone instead of glad stone.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I wouldn't worry about it, he's probably just not the brightest guy in the world. As long as you see the truck title with proper vin, the name of the title and the appropriate signature, and your info on the bottom, everything is fine. Have the money there with you to show him you're not pulling his leg, but don't give him a cent until everything is done to your liking. Wonder why he's selling the truck!? Make sure you check it out mechanically, that would be my biggest concern. You can destroy a motor in 60k with crappy care, or make it last 300k with proper care. This truck could have had either or anything in the middle.

K
Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

If you have reservations about the deal go with your gut instincts they are rarely wrong. Nuff'said.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Think about this scenario. You check the VIN on the title, it matches the one on the dash and in the doorframe. His buddy signed the title before he gave it to the seller. You pay the guy, and go happily on your way. At the DMV you turn over the signed title, and the bill of sale from...... somebody not on the title, or thank god you thought of that and had him get a bill of sale from his buddy so everything matches. Now want a few possibilities of what could happen? The truck has a dupe title, cause the one you have was "lost" and a certificate of destruction was issued on the duplicate, the truck was wrecked and junked two years ago. (of course you know that isn't true, cause it's got really cool wheels.....) since you checked the VIN, the DMV goes out to check it for you in hopes of inspecting it so you can get a salvage title. ooooppppps the window VIN and doorframe VIN match, but the one the inspector checked with a flashlight and mirror doesnt..... it matched one on a list of stolen vehicles. Easy to straighten out? Answer this: who did you buy it from? can you prove it? where does he live? what do you do when he says he has never heard of you? the home address the "seller" gave you turns out to be a burned out 7-11 in Watts. that's ok, the check you gave him makes it traceable right? except that it was endorsed over to someone else, cashed in a Ralphs. Cashed by someone who's only ID was the Ralph's courtesy card.
Sounds like trouble to me, offer to buy the wheels if you like 'em that much. It's very possible that everything is OK, but everything possible could go wrong too. Is a stinkin S-10 worth it? Could you afford to lose the money and the truck? IMO, deals usually smell fishy cause they are.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggarmike
Think about this scenario. You check the VIN on the title, it matches the one on the dash and in the doorframe. His buddy signed the title before he gave it to the seller. You pay the guy, and go happily on your way. At the DMV you turn over the signed title, and the bill of sale from...... somebody not on the title, or thank god you thought of that and had him get a bill of sale from his buddy so everything matches. Now want a few possibilities of what could happen? The truck has a dupe title, cause the one you have was "lost" and a certificate of destruction was issued on the duplicate, the truck was wrecked and junked two years ago. (of course you know that isn't true, cause it's got really cool wheels.....) since you checked the VIN, the DMV goes out to check it for you in hopes of inspecting it so you can get a salvage title. ooooppppps the window VIN and doorframe VIN match, but the one the inspector checked with a flashlight and mirror doesnt..... it matched one on a list of stolen vehicles. Easy to straighten out? Answer this: who did you buy it from? can you prove it? where does he live? what do you do when he says he has never heard of you? the home address the "seller" gave you turns out to be a burned out 7-11 in Watts. that's ok, the check you gave him makes it traceable right? except that it was endorsed over to someone else, cashed in a Ralphs. Cashed by someone who's only ID was the Ralph's courtesy card.
Sounds like trouble to me, offer to buy the wheels if you like 'em that much. It's very possible that everything is OK, but everything possible could go wrong too. Is a stinkin S-10 worth it? Could you afford to lose the money and the truck? IMO, deals usually smell fishy cause they are.
Havent called the guy back and as stated before these trucks are a dime a dozen and ill just look else where.
Thanks for the advise guys.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:52 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

IF YOU bought my tow truck, same deal. BUT IF THIS TRUCK HAS PLATES LET IT GO. if it does it probably has a dozen parking tickets against it. as long as the title is signed off and the vin matches it will transfer. done it a million times w/o a hitch. to be on the safe side you could have the "seller" give you a hand made bill of sale to cover your donkey. call the owner on the title as ask if he sold it

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.