Need some direction on getting a custom grind hydraullic roller camshaft for SBC 5.7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need some direction on getting a custom grind hydraullic roller camshaft for SBC 5.7

Hello guys well I am getting a little worried here for next month for my cam swap. This is for a 350 small block chevy with a factory oem roller type setup. Ok guys I went through summit for a lunati custom grind and ordered a lunati 60110 hydraullic roller cam for my engine to be put on a billet core with the stepped nose along with the everwear gear.

I don't like the austempered cores being used as I feel a billet steel core is what should be used for any type of roller cam setup cause I have heard issues of the austempered cores going bad. I called Lunati to check to see if my cam was going to ship soon and they said they don't have that core on there shelf and they don't know when they are going to have some and the one guy said he will have to call me back. I am wanting to at least get my cam in hand by the end of the month so my question is would I be able to give the specs to say Isky or Comp Cam and they be able to give me the exact same cam specs and all?

The reason I am asking is because the voodoo cams use a asymmetrical lobe design and would Isky or Compcam be able to do that for me? I would like to go through Isky if I can. I have looked through there off the shelf cams from both comp and isky and I like the numbers of the lunati 60110 camshaft. Hope someone can help me with advice who have gotten custom made cams before. If you know anyone else besides them that could do this for me with a quick turnaround time please let me know.
Thanks guys
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Everytime(but one) I have had a custom cam made, the specs were chosen by the cam company's tech, I just laid out the parameters of the engine and car and what I expected from it. I usually have an idea what I want before i call, but listen to what they explain about why they chose a certain lobe profile and then make a decesion. Companies I have used are 1 Comp Cams and about 15 Crower's, next one I do will be Bullet if not Crower.

The Comp Cams Extreme are also usually asymmetrical, and their latest designs were designed by the same guy (Harold Brookshire of UltraDyne fame) that did the Lunati Voodoo. I don't know about Isky's profiles.

If it was me I would call Bullet Cams, they bought all the UltraDyne grinds specs's and seem to be at the top of their game.

I'm with you, I wouldn't want an austempered core either, there record is too spotty on reliability.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Hello eric thanks for the info and your experience. If I would say go through comp cams and give the the specs that I want and mentioned the lunati do you think they would do it for me? I know its not normal to call a cam company to ask them to grind a competitors cam shaft spec but I have never done this before. I can't afford more then what I already paid. Do you think comp or ultradyne would be able to get me one shipped within a week by chance? It seems to me Lunati is very slow and really don't know what there doing at least on my end anyways that is how I feel. When i talk to them they act like they don't really want to help me get what I want and can't answer my questions right off the bat. O well I will do came calling tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Eric
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

They shouldn`t have a problem grinding a cam to another company`s spec, cause many cam company`s copy each other or get close to one anothers specs so it shouldn`t make any difference to them. Believe me, it`s not like your "stealing" another cam company`s specs. As long as your cash is green more than likely they could care less.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
There's something going on in this thread that will be confusing to others who read it later. Eric32, you are using the term "asymmetrical lobe design". This has to do with the way the lobe is ground from the opening to the closing side of the lobe. It is usually used to "snap" the valve open and then let it down more softly on its seat to prevent bounce.

While you may actually mean asymmetrical lobe design, I am of the opinion that what you actually mean is "dual pattern", where the exhaust lobe has more lift and duration than the intake lobe on the same cam.

Please clarify for those who will come later and read this.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Why don't you phone up the Ford dealership and see if they got any Chevy cams ??
Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Well first of all techinspector what I meant was as you stated I don't know all of what it means but on the lunati voodoo cams the asymmetrical design is what I read about in a article and a spokesperson from lunati stated about there voodoo cams using the asymmetrical ramp design. I pasted below from this site on camshaft term used.

(Asymmetrical - An Asymmetrical cam has opening and closing ramps that are different. These profiles are usually found on high performance cams and offer a high velocity opening and a lower velocity closing ramp in order to snap the valve open quickly and then set it back down more gently.)

I read about camshafts and other stuff in different magazine articles and the type lobe designs etc. It had nothing to do with a dual pattern design. I only know about that when reading some articles on camshafts.

As far as Fbird goes either your making fun of me on something I typed or I may have confused you, or does actual dealerships such as ford carry chevy parts? That sounds different to me but I have never bought anything from a dealership before. You guys are the expert teachers on here I am just a student learning I don't mean anything bad here so please don't take it that way. I just never had someone tell me to check out a ford garage for a chevy part.

If that is the case in easier terms if Lunati can not get my voodoo cam made for me on the billet core what I meant is if I gave the exact same specs to either isky or comp cam can that make me the same exact cam. Thats all. The only thing I want here is the lunati voodoo cam I wanted to get put on a billet steel core not a cast core.

I don't like the idea of having a cast core for a roller cam. I just don't know that much about other cam makers and what all they can make. If I sound stupid then whatever I am just learning here and I don't know what all they have to do to make a camshaft for someone.

With the different type of asymmetrical lobe design I read about on the voodoo cams I did not know if it required a different type of machining to be done on making one or not I have no idea. I hope that clears things up.
Thanks
Eric
Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Thanks Eric. I would make bet that anything Cam Grinder A can make, Cam Grinder Z can make, as long as Z is a well-known entity. Asymmetrical profiles are not voodoo (Caribbean Voodoo) .
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

LOL Techinspector thanks for the heads up. If Lunati cant get my cam made for me then I will give isky a call and see what they can do. I am wanting to get my cam with in the next couple of weeks and everything else rounded up so I can get my cam swap done by the end of next month. I don't have time to just wait and hope it comes in soon.
cheers
Eric
Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

If you want to talk to the above mentioned Harold Brrokshire,aka UDHarold,here is the last info I have;
Everyone,

Now I've done it........
I am now selling ALL of my previous work from 1980 til now, and into the future.
If you want an original UltraDyne, or one of my Lunati or VooDoo cams, or one of my Custom Camshaft Rollers, or what I may be doing in the future, please give me a call.
I will be getting a new phone number by the first of January, but my home phone number is still 662-562-4933.
Most of the valve train components will be from Lunati, as they have the good Morel lifters, including micro-polished ones, and with oil holes on the faces, and the Pacalloy springs, including the BeeHives.....

If I made it, I sell it.

UDHarold

PS---New designs are being worked on.

I got my solid roller cam from Harold a few years ago and I am very happy with it.A custom grind is very close to the same price as an off the shelf grind.
Guy
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

thanks guy I will do that if I can't get anywhere else with lunati or one of the others. I just don't want to be told by lunati well we don't know when we will get the core you want. I would like to get my cam swap done by the end of july if possible.
Thanks for the info.
Eric
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Hiltz
If you want to talk to the above mentioned Harold Brrokshire,aka UDHarold,here is the last info I have;
Everyone,

Now I've done it........
I am now selling ALL of my previous work from 1980 til now, and into the future.
If you want an original UltraDyne, or one of my Lunati or VooDoo cams, or one of my Custom Camshaft Rollers, or what I may be doing in the future, please give me a call.
I will be getting a new phone number by the first of January, but my home phone number is still 662-562-4933.
Most of the valve train components will be from Lunati, as they have the good Morel lifters, including micro-polished ones, and with oil holes on the faces, and the Pacalloy springs, including the BeeHives.....

If I made it, I sell it.

UDHarold

PS---New designs are being worked on.

I got my solid roller cam from Harold a few years ago and I am very happy with it.A custom grind is very close to the same price as an off the shelf grind.
Guy
Guy,

I am glad that you had a good experience from Harold, as I did not-he is a really nice guy to talk to and is extremely knowledgeable, but he does NOT keep his promises-

I would agree with most here-Bullet is a good Company (most of the Employees are from the now defunct UltraDyne), or another choice could be Mike Jones (he is really good)-

Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
JRC Technologies Group
7859 Commerce Dr.
Denver, NC 28037
(704)489-2449
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for the help and your experiences. Well I made some phone calls and Lunati is still waiting to hear from there supplier and see if they can get that core I wanted. I also called Isky and Comp and neither one can make that for me on a billet core just the cast cores. I don't know what I will do if they can't get the core I need. Isky said that could do it on a regular non stepped nose design but I like to have the on my cam as to where I don't have to check for end play and all the other stuff that goes with it. Anyways thanks guys for all the leads so far on cam makers.
Eric
Old 06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I am going with these guy's here, Have had several friends use them all with good results. http://www.bulletcams.com/ . And here is another good company that i have heard good things about also. http://www.cammotion.com/ .

Cole
Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

confussed?

to the op,you said you had factory 5.7L/350 oem roller block set-up.why are you asking about a lunati cam that is retrofit and for marine use.cam in question lunati 60110 retrofit marine use according to summit and lunati sites.maybe i missed something in your post,just asking?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.