Need some direction on painting a drag truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need some direction on painting a drag truck

I have an S10 Im building, nothing fancy, just a low budget Craigslist special bracket truck.

Right now its flat black (how I bought it), a couple of rust spots where you can tell they shot over bare metal. No rot.

So I'm in the process of sanding and getting it ready for primer then single stage paint.

As of right now I have the hood prepped, some spits are down to bare metal. Is there a primer I can shoot on it over bare metal and painted metal? Or do I need something special for the bare metal spots. I really don't want to buy a bunch of stuff, just primer and paint. Remember its a low budget build, it will get dinged and scratched. I just want to cover up the bare spots so it won't rust over the week.

With shooting epoxy primer over bare metal spots be ok? What bout smaller areas that has minor surface rust that has minor pitting that just won't come out sanding? Anything I can put on that before primer?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Use SPI Epoxy, over bare metal, over prepped paint, your good to go...apply it it, let it cure, block it, paint it and your done.Ray
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Brandon H. (04-21-2013), NEW INTERIORS (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

Would Napa's epoxy primer be ok? Since that local.

Also I plan on having it in primer for a month or two before paint. Will it seal the bare spots untill then? If not i can try to get it done quicker.

Also small areas of light rust in the bed ( the kind that has small pits and rust can't be removed except media blasting), what can I do about these to get it prepped for primer.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Napa's Nason, Epoxy primer will help in the bare metal areas, I would let it flash and coat it with a 2k primer, because the Nason Epoxy sand like a rock.

If your not going to blast the inside of the box to get rid of the rust pits, use sand paper, a wire wheel, throw tiny stones at it...whatever it takes, get as much rust out as possible before you Epoxy prime. The cleaner the metal the better the job and the longer it will last.

Hope this helps

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Brandon H. (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon H. View Post

Also I plan on having it in primer for a month or two before paint. Will it seal the bare spots untill then? If not i can try to get it done quicker.

Also small areas of light rust in the bed ( the kind that has small pits and rust can't be removed except media blasting), what can I do about these to get it prepped for primer.
Mr.Barry could have the SPI Epoxy at your door step as fast as you can drive to Napa..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
Brandon H. (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I don't know where you live, but, if your planning on putting Epoxy on your S10 tomorrow...well Napa may be the way to go, if your planning on putting a real good product on your S10 and you can wait until Wednesday or Thursday...SPI will have their Epoxy at your door...you spray it on...let it cure...and your S10 and no need for 2K primer.

I think Nason Epoxy is going to run you about $40 a quart...plus hardner....maybe $30?, not sure. With SPI, for around 90 dollars, you get a gallon of Epoxy and if I'm right, for another $90 you get the hardner. So for $180 dollars you get 2 sprayable gallons, you don't need to buy 2K primer...and in my opinion, you get a much better product.

Very Very worth looking into.
And thanks Randy for bringing that up...it's after 2 AM out here and I'm wearing thin...LOL
Ray
Brandon H. (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I don't know where you live, but, if your planning on putting Epoxy on your S10 tomorrow...well Napa may be the way to go, if your planning on putting a real good product on your S10 and you can wait until Wednesday or Thursday...SPI will have their Epoxy at your door...you spray it on...let it cure...and your S10 and no need for 2K primer.

I think Nason Epoxy is going to run you about $40 a quart...plus hardner....maybe $30?, not sure. With SPI, for around 90 dollars, you get a gallon of Epoxy and if I'm right, for another $90 you get the hardner. So for $180 dollars you get 2 sprayable gallons, you don't need to buy 2K primer...and in my opinion, you get a much better product.

Very Very worth looking into.
And thanks Randy for bringing that up...it's after 2 AM out here and I'm wearing thin...LOL
Ray
Me too..
I have mine sometimes the next day..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM

Last photo:

I will take your advice and and buy that primer today, I'm going to prep the truck all this week, and shoot primer on it this weekend.

About the rust, I have been sanding it the best I can, and it comes out clean metal, but sometimes has little craters (rust pits) that no matter how long you sand it won't come out. Wha do I do about those? Any magic products. What about shap corners that have a little rust that can't be reached much with sandpaper? I know media blasting would work, but I need another route.

Also anyone recommend a bang for the buck single stage paint?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Stop...don't order that primer...Now that I have your attention...SPI also sell's single stage paint...in colors White, Black and Red...that are reasonably priced...I'd order it all at once.

Now, the SPI Epoxy will easily stand up for months, then it's basically sand and spray. As far as those rust pit areas and a wire wheel doesn't remove the pits, there is a product....I have it on the tip of my tongue...it's made by 3M, it's a black burly disc...and I can't for the life of me think of the name of it....I'll go to the shop soon and look at one, I'm sure the name will come back to me...God I hate it when that happens.

Sorry man, I'll get back to you soon.

Ray
Brandon H. (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Is it this?

3M 4 in. Pro Grade Coarse Paint and Rust Stripper-7771-PG at The Home Depot
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
That looks like the one....Thanks, I haven't been able to check yet...but sure looks like what I use...for 7.95, give it a try, it's even called a "Rust Stripper".

Ray
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Ray, what should I do in the mean time while I am sanding and getting spots to bare metal. I live in Plant City, Florida. It gets hot and humid, and has been raining a lot lately. Should I load up my touch up gun a spray just those spots?

Or prime panel by panel at a time? I only get about 1 to 1.5 hours a day after work to sand on the truck before the Mosquito are too heavy.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

If it's hot and humid, it's even more important to get the areas that are in bare metal in Epoxy primer...I would suggest that when you get your epoxy from SPI, clean up as much of one panel as you can and get it in primer, if it's that humid, you need to seal it up ASAP.

Ray
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Also I plan on having it in primer for a month or two before paint. Will it seal the bare spots until then? If not i can try to get it done quicker.

I would call SPI and have them ship you their epoxy, the shipping is FREE, delivered right to your door step. With SPI epoxy you can shoot a topcoat on it the next day, or wait 4 years with it setting outside then wash it, scuff it,prep,then shoot a reduced coat of SPI epoxy as a sealer over it and topcoat it an hour later.
SPI products are second to none, better than most, user friendly, and come with the BEST tech line support out there.

Do NOT get in a hurry and buy whatever is quick to find, call SPI and they will ship that same day and you will have the best on your doorstep in no time.

IF Barry would sell stock in SPI I would be a tycoon!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.