Hot Rod Forum banner

Need Some Fabrication Ideas - Solutions for a Retractable Panel

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  icsmannn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Fellow Gear-Heads, I've got the side-tilting bed assy conquered and functional, using the Keyless Entry transmitter and two remote switches, thanks to THIS Bulletin Board! THANKS!
I'm now moving on to fabricating the steel tonneau cover. I'm placing a rear spoiler, within the bed, and will have an upper panel that retracts, allowing an opening for the rear spoiler to pop up through. THEN, the retractable panel will recess back into place, leaving two cut out slots to accommodate the vertical spoiler mounting brackets. Make sense?

So where I need help is in accomplishing the following:
1) The rear panel needs to "drop" down, just like a sunroof panel,
2) Then that panel needs to slide/roll forward on some sort of track
3) Once the Spoiler has raised and is in place, the panel needs to slide back into place and "pop up" flush against the base of the opening (mostly for looks as opposed to any real drag racing aerodynamics, etc....)

I've searched YouTube and other sites for any kind of an example of the mechanics of a normal sunroof track but have yet to find any that actually "show" the inner workings. I've messed with a lot of body stuff but never had to dig deeply into the sunroof stuff. I tried to attach some pictures of what I've got fabricated so far......if that will help show what I'm trying to accomplish.

To give you a more complete overview, of what the truck looks like and how this set up is supposed to work, I've posted a YouTube video. Do a search for "Power Spoiler Part 3" as I'm tracking my progress via that site as I did with the Tilt Bed operation.

Really appreciate some input here guys! THANKS!

Icsmannn

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What if instead of a panel sliding forward and the spoiler raising up you created a rotating mechanism that would rotate the panel and the spoiler is mounted on the underside. Flip a switch and a motor rotates the panel and viola the spoiler is out.
Maybe not a flashy but could be a simpler install.

#4 ·
Input

Great Suggestions! Especially the "flip and roll" switcharoo! Regarding using another sunroof assy, I considered that however, the problem was that after buying an entire assembly for couple hundred it would still have to be disassembled, widened and then re-welded, etc... I'll give it some more thought!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.