Need Some Fabrication Ideas - Solutions for a Retractable Panel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 12:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Some Fabrication Ideas - Solutions for a Retractable Panel

Hey Fellow Gear-Heads, I've got the side-tilting bed assy conquered and functional, using the Keyless Entry transmitter and two remote switches, thanks to THIS Bulletin Board! THANKS!
I'm now moving on to fabricating the steel tonneau cover. I'm placing a rear spoiler, within the bed, and will have an upper panel that retracts, allowing an opening for the rear spoiler to pop up through. THEN, the retractable panel will recess back into place, leaving two cut out slots to accommodate the vertical spoiler mounting brackets. Make sense?

So where I need help is in accomplishing the following:
1) The rear panel needs to "drop" down, just like a sunroof panel,
2) Then that panel needs to slide/roll forward on some sort of track
3) Once the Spoiler has raised and is in place, the panel needs to slide back into place and "pop up" flush against the base of the opening (mostly for looks as opposed to any real drag racing aerodynamics, etc....)

I've searched YouTube and other sites for any kind of an example of the mechanics of a normal sunroof track but have yet to find any that actually "show" the inner workings. I've messed with a lot of body stuff but never had to dig deeply into the sunroof stuff. I tried to attach some pictures of what I've got fabricated so far......if that will help show what I'm trying to accomplish.

To give you a more complete overview, of what the truck looks like and how this set up is supposed to work, I've posted a YouTube video. Do a search for "Power Spoiler Part 3" as I'm tracking my progress via that site as I did with the Tilt Bed operation.

Really appreciate some input here guys! THANKS!

Icsmannn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS Tilt.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	45747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9391.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	45748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	45749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Framework 1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	45750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Framework 2.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	45751  

Advertisement

Last edited by icsmannn; 05-21-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: To add some reference information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

What if instead of a panel sliding forward and the spoiler raising up you created a rotating mechanism that would rotate the panel and the spoiler is mounted on the underside. Flip a switch and a motor rotates the panel and viola the spoiler is out.
Maybe not a flashy but could be a simpler install.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

why don't you just go to a local pick and pull salvage yard and get a power sunroof unit? Modify it to attatch to your framework. Then you could actually see the roof track and if nothing else make a new heavier version to support the panel.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Input

Great Suggestions! Especially the "flip and roll" switcharoo! Regarding using another sunroof assy, I considered that however, the problem was that after buying an entire assembly for couple hundred it would still have to be disassembled, widened and then re-welded, etc... I'll give it some more thought!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.