Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need some help
Thread: Need some help
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenbored View Post
The fuel pump is good, its a newer (6 months) in-tank tbi fuel pump. (truck used to be tbi) I have the pressure regulated to 7psi. I can see in the clear filter that the fuel is good and the fuel gauge shows a strong 7psi

As for the ignition I have a MSD street fire hei distributor and MSD street fire ignition box so i don't have and ignition module anymore. The coil seems to be firing fine, I have a clear distributor cap and can see that all 8 cylinders are getting a nice bright, strong spark. Now I know my wires are not the best, if you look under the hood at night you can see all but 2 cylinders are sparking in the boots at the spark plugs. I haven't gotten around to changing the wires but they've done this for almost a year now and this stalling problem is brand new.

From a dead stop when I floor the engine I break the rear tires loose and it seems to pull fine. I tried doing a stall test in 2wd but as soon as I got to half throttle it would start burning the tires. I retried the stall test in 4wd with all the tires blocked and at full throttle the tach read 2300-2500 so I think the torque converter is working. But when I brake torque with about quarter throttle it bogs down and dies unless I throw it in neutral real quick.

Sorry for the novel.
have you tried to run it at 6 psi 7 is a little low. 5 psi is normal for most carbs but not sure about the holley 770 carb you mentioned.

If it idles fine but falls off at high rpm with 6 psi your regulator may not be able to flow enough to support the carb at max flow. I would check with holley and see what the carb is meant to run at. If its 7 psi then ignore my dribble. LOL

Do you still have the TBI exhuast. is there oem o2 sensor still in place you can buy a lean rich guage pretty cheap and see if the motor is very rich or goes lean when the problem occurs. these just hook up to the stock o2 sensor and read the output. Now the o2 sensor has a small range but can be used for general lean rich condition check.