Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Need some help with a 1965 Mustang cowl (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/need-some-help-1965-mustang-cowl-189600.html)

Old Fool 12-25-2010 04:09 PM

Need some help with a 1965 Mustang cowl

Anyone have a good way to make the outer cowl panel on a 65 Mustang removable without taking out the windshield and drilling the spot welds?

Thanks!

deadbodyman 12-27-2010 05:46 AM

Thats a good idea OF..... :thumbup:

Old Fool 12-27-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Thats a good idea OF..... :thumbup:

Dam, DBM you were spose'd to have the solution to my problem . I already knew it was a good idea,LOL.

KMatch 12-27-2010 10:35 AM

Removing the cowl is as bad as it looks so I doubt you'll get any help in making it easier. However... I've seen some where the cowl vents were removed for repair access then the vents replaced with solid metal. It looks good and allows limited access. Otherwise I can only suggest cutting it as close to the windshield as your welding skills allow, but that sounds hokey to me.

spacytracy 12-27-2010 10:44 AM

mustang cowl repair

Good luck on this one, but I have had 3 early mustangs with all three having rusty vent areas. One of Fords biggest blunders in my oppinion. Here is how I fixed all three of my mustangs, two coupes and one gt convertible. I removed the hood for access, and with a cut off wheel I cut a slot from the firewall side of the cowl about 3" wide and clear across the face of the cowl. I then made all of my repairs, cleaned the rust, and installed new vent caps and sealed the entire area with por15 then primed and painted. When all was finished, I welded the panel back into place and did some lightweight body filler. Good for another 40 years. Good luck!

MARTINSR 12-27-2010 01:09 PM

I honestly don't see a reason why it couldn't be fabbed to make it removeable. I mean, it is a piece of metal and you can cut and weld and do anything you want to it. I don't have a step by step on doing it, but I know it could be done.

Now, this is NOT going to happen without removing the windshield and fenders. But after removing them you will see what needs to be done to accomplish the task.

Brian

deadbodyman 12-28-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Fool
Dam, DBM you were spose'd to have the solution to my problem . I already knew it was a good idea,LOL.

Sorry, The last stang I restored as over 20yrs ago .I remember thinking how silly the design was when I cut it off and replaced it but I never thought about redesigning it back then and I can barley remember anything about it ...If the car was sitting here in front of me I'm sure I could come up with a stock looking removable cowl...I'm of the same opinion as Brian ,It's only metal and it'll do what you want it to do ...Really ,when you think about it ,Basicly ,(other than finishing the edges),all you need are some mounts to screw the front and sides to. the back where the windshield is would be the hardest part mabee some kind of mounts with hooks :confused: I'd start by taking a long walk through the salvage yard and checking out how other manufactures fastened them down ,you never know your answear might be on a Yugo,there has to be something they were good for....
How about some pics to refresh my memory...I'm sure we can come up with a few ideas for you...
As much of a PITA it is to remove and replace the cowl,once its done you shouldn't ever have to do it again...

shine 12-28-2010 07:49 AM

i would do my repairs from the dash side . removing the cowl is a can of worms i'd just as soon leave the lid on. it is after all part of the strength in the unibody.

Old Fool 12-28-2010 08:44 AM

I have some basic ideas in mind to make it removable but was hoping someone had went through a similar situation and would have said," a 17584 whozimonga" has the perfect clips you need.

On the edge near the windshield I am thinking of cutting off the existing pinch weld flange and re fabricating it to slide under the moulding and into a couple of "sockets".
the sides and front edge can be screwed back into the pinch weld and covered with seam sealer.
For structural integrity, a 1x1x.080 steel tubing is going to be added across the front pinch weld area.
The firewall and inner cowl is 2001 mustang, the outer cowl is 1965 Mustang. The wiper system will be an after market cable drive system, hence the need to open the cowl without dismantling the car.

Very similiar to how Bob J. did his:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1293550876

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5-01-26203.jpg

readdirections 12-28-2010 02:45 PM

65 mustang cowl

I repaired my 68 Mustang cowl vents a few years ago. I drilled 1/8" holes thru the center of the spot welds then used 3/8" , drilled out spot welds to the outside edge, then popped loose the welds with a chisel. Man there must have been a zillion spot welds. Anyway, I am glad I removed the cowl, rust city in a big way. I cut out all rust, blasted, patched, installed new vents, primer,, painted harden AE scuffed the paint, then sprayed a rubberize clear, weld the zillion spot welds, grind welds to surface, then finished cowl. Much much work, but glad I did. Later beefed up the firewall for the export brace.

deadbodyman 12-29-2010 05:52 AM

You can easily tell with a quick glance who went to the trouble to remove the cowl to do a proper resto and who simply shot some undercoating down there to cover it all up...Its a great idea and well worth the trouble.

jtfx6552 12-29-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

I have some basic ideas in mind to make it removable but was hoping someone had went through a similar situation and would have said," a 17584 whozimonga" has the perfect clips you need.

On the edge near the windshield I am thinking of cutting off the existing pinch weld flange and re fabricating it to slide under the moulding and into a couple of "sockets".
the sides and front edge can be screwed back into the pinch weld and covered with seam sealer.
For structural integrity, a 1x1x.080 steel tubing is going to be added across the front pinch weld area.
The firewall and inner cowl is 2001 mustang, the outer cowl is 1965 Mustang. The wiper system will be an after market cable drive system, hence the need to open the cowl without dismantling the car.

Very similiar to how Bob J. did his:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1293550876

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5-01-26203.jpg

I'm curious about this project? Is this going to be like the "SN65" that was done a few years ago?

Old Fool 12-29-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtfx6552
I'm curious about this project? Is this going to be like the "SN65" that was done a few years ago?

Yes,those are pics of the SN65

jtfx6552 12-29-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Yes,those are pics of the SN65

Are you building another one?

Old Fool 12-30-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtfx6552
Are you building another one?

Yes I am in the process of building a SN65 Coupe which will be similiar to Bob Jullians SN65, except it isnt going to cost anywhere near $80000 to build.
Bob did an excelllent job on the SN65, but he did state there are things he would do different if he did it again. One of those things I am going to do different is to not weld the wiper drive assembly into the cowl.