need some help..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 05:43 PM
2 much power is almost enough

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need some help.....

i have been battling a tick from hell.... i'm stumped. 1971 el camino 8.5:1 cr, street dominator intake, holley 750 vac sec, .420 .443 cam, 1.6 roller rockers. timing is at 12*. engine was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago.
i hear a tick coming from what seems to be the bottom pass. side. it started out as a light tick and now it is loud and annoying. i replaced roller rockers, lifters, header gaskets, dist cap and rotor.... tick is still there. it seemed like it was coming from the trans... pulled it, tick is still there when i fire it up. the tick seems to hit about 2 times a second when at 1000 rpms. i'm looking for ideas.. what can i check and test this weekend.. trans is still out. and i adjusted the valves several times.. 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 turn after rockers stop clacking. didn't change the tick at all.... i need input from you genius' out there.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

I don,t know about your ticking sound but why the heck do you have a 750 on the engine with that compression and cam.Drivebility would be so much better with a 600.

mike
Old 07-31-2004, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

nope, i had an edelbrock 1406 on it for about 3,000 miles. mpg was 11. i put the holley 750 on because a friend told me to just try it. getting 13mpg now with more power. i talked to edelbrock and told them what i had.. they told me how to set up the carb.... holley was right out of the box... all i adjusted was the idle speed. never goin backto edelbrock.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

tick

I think i know what might be wrong but i am not sure if i can tell you since i am a jeff gordon fan, and if it fixes your problem well....... just kidding...........

If the car has a mechanical fuel pump. remove the pump and start the engine. I think the sound will go away.....

Keith
Old 07-31-2004, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

i will try that.... but, how long can i run the engine on the fuel it has in the carb and lines.. will i have time to start the car and adjust my idle screw to get 1000 rpms? my linkage is all removed when the trans came out... long story... also if it is found to be the pump WHICH IS A GREAT POSSIBILITY, do i wanna go with an electric pump? thanks for your idea.

errrrrrrrr, did it, tick still there. it's like a header tick but i just don't know.... it doesn't change with temperature... headers are 6 month old hookers..... i give up for the day.. but please keep passing ideas, i'm gonna start up again tomorrow... i'm thinking oil pan removal, compression check..... might swap the valve springs..... i have used a stethoscope all over... heard nothing...

i hate to put too many questions up here.... but i'm gonna ask anyway. with my cam and rocker ratio.. is it needed for me to be running a higher then stock converter? thx.

Last edited by HARVICKx29; 07-31-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:49 PM
I dun learned sumthin

Rod cap taping the oil pan? Has the oil pan ever been dented or bent. Thought this will make a hollow thump more then a lifter tick noise. just a thought
Old 07-31-2004, 11:29 PM

Last photo:

i plan on taking the oil pan off tomorrow... i have to figure out how i'm gonna balance the engine without the trans connected... pan won't come off unless flywheel is removed... if i can't find the problem i might just put it all back together and drive it till it breaks... i'm going on 2 months with this tick and it's gradually getting louder. maybe it'll just break and i can say.. oh, so thats what it was. an incorrect heat range or gap on the spark plug wouldn't cause this.. would it? i'm currently at .035". it's an hei ignition. should i try .040 or .045?
Old 08-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

you have looked at the header gaskets? new headers are notorious for burning out gaskets quickly due to them working loose from hot and cold, and if the header comes loose the slightest it`ll burn the paper gasket out quickly, especially if the gaskets weren`t soaked in water prior to use.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Check Your Starter Gear Clearance!

Before you pull that pan, check to see if your flywheel/flexplate is hitting the starter gear.

I had a "knock" under load. I adjusted the rockers until I wiped the original cam, I changed heads (lower compression), went back to a carb from EFI, etc. I spent $1,000s trying to solve my problem. It turned out to be the flexplate just barely hitting the starter gear. I had recently installed a high-torque mini-starter and did not realize how close the starter gear was to the flexplate. After spending so much time and money trying to find and solve my "knock", it cost me nothing and about 30 minutes to install a shim. Problem solved.

You describe a ticking from the lower passenger side that occurs about 2 times a second at 1000 RPM. If it is not the starter gear, check your clearances while bumping the engine over slowly. A 168 tooth flexplate comes pretty close to the bellhousing. It also may be a converter bolt/nut grazing something.

Good luck. Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 08-01-2004, 12:22 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:

Quote:
you have looked at the header gaskets? new headers are notorious for burning out gaskets quickly due to them working loose from hot and cold, and if the header comes loose the slightest it`ll burn the paper gasket out quickly, especially if the gaskets weren`t soaked in water prior to use.
That would be the first thing I would check.

Does the ticking get faster with RPMs?

Did you re-torque the header bolts after you installed the headers and ran them for about 50 mi? If not they probally came loose.
Pull the headers and look at the gaskets, then get some new ones. Ethier way, you have new header gaskets. Dont use the old ones.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

on the header gaskets....with the new headers i used the gaskets that came with them. they were trash so i swapped them out with mr gasket gaskets... they were trash so i bought the copper gaskets. i removed them during the ticking.. and found them to have some slight leaks. i swapped them out for some permaseal aluminum gaskets. tick did not change the slightest bit. at idle you can hear it slightly but once you get to 1000 rpms it's loud and it doesn't get any louder no matter how high you rev it, just faster. load or no load it's the same. if i plug the exhaust the sound does not change at all. i have 2.5" pipes straight back from the headers with flowmaster 40's, no H pipe.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You've checked the collector gaskets as well I take it?
Old 08-01-2004, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

i have the collectors welded to the rest of the exhaust... those things leaked every other day... kept hitting on stuff.....
Old 08-01-2004, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Is you dip stick on that side i have seen were sometimes they hit.

how long ago after the rebuild did the ticking noise start.

mike

Last edited by Rogers Performance; 08-01-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Can you narrow it down with a piece of fuel hose? (one end in your ear & the other end used to probe around trying to locate the source of the noise)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.