Hot Rod Forum banner

Need some help before I weld the floor in???

791 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 · (Edited)
help with weatherproofing rockers!!!

Hey guys, over the past few months I have ripped out the floors and all braces and made some new full inner rockers, as well as purchased all pans and braces. I have weld through primer and was planning on using it on all pinch seams but my question was what should I do with the inner and outer rocker assembly as far as weatherproofing/sealing? I thought it might be ok if I taped off all pinch weld areas being primed with weld through and use some kind of a bed liner or possibly lizard skin. What did some of you do with your rides? Its a 62 impala 4 dr. and its gonna be a driver. Also when it comes to painting the under carriage, what were some of the steps you guys used? The car will be on the ground during most of the floor rebuild untill everyting is spotted in and than I plan on removing the body to finish up welding anything else and finally sealing/paint. Sorry so long but the more I try to figure it out on my own the more I will probably regret it. Thanks for looking.

Kevin

#3 ·
I am not that far along, but I think I am going to use that waxxy type rust proofing inside the rocker boxes. On the bottom of the floor, I am going to swap POR 15 into the channels that spray won't reach. Then epoxy primer. I am contemplating body color bed liner for the finish.

#4 ·
I usually epoxy the inner structure as I build then remove the epoxy in the weld areas and coat with 3M weld through coating, when the job is done treat all the boxed areas with 3M's rustfighter, or transtar amber coating, or Amsoil's version. Transtar offers long spraywands with 360 degree spray ends and includes them free when you purchase a 6 can case of the amber coating. I snake the spraywand through the rocker panels, crossmembers, frame rails etc. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.