Hot Rod Forum banner

Need some help building chevy 400

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  billy65 
#1 ·
I am in the process of building a chevy 400. I am thinking of doing a 377 stroke. Since I have a 350 crank just sitting around. I am wanting to know if what im thinking is all correct. I want to put the 350 crank in the 400 so I will need to get main bearing spacers? I plan on running keith black pistons and would like a 11 or 12 to 1 compression. Can I also use the chevy 350 5.7" rod versus the 400 5.56" rod? I also think I have to bore it out .30 over? Is this correct? I will be running 202 double hump heads. Thanks alot for all of your help Also any idea on how this set up would be on horsepower. Its going in a 68 firebird with turbo 350 and 4.10 rear end gears.

#3 ·
I personally would not destroke that engine....My SBC 408 makes a lot of torque down low and still putting up decent numbers up high. Remember their is No replacement for displacement. Take a look at my signature for the combo and the dyno result is in the link provided. I have made changes in the carb (Pro-System) and ignition system (MSD)so I should be alot better thamn wwhat the dyno results shows. My goal was to reach 500/500 but I did fall short on the HP but made 502tq.

#5 ·
pontiacpower said:
i plan on running race gas anyway so the compression doesnt bother me unless it will hurt my performance for street? what it take to make a 408 and would a 408 with my set up be better then a 377 with what im using?
thanks
My 400 is bored .040, which make 408. Your might clean up at .030 for a 406. yes I would NOt destoke the engine unless you are trying to get a hig revving engine, but If you want to feel the power of a 400, build a strong bottom end and nice set of head. and enjoy the engine. I would really look into it and do plenty of research before converting to a 377. Why do you want the 377 and whats your budget to build this engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.