Hot Rod Forum banner

Need some help on an engine setup with a decent budget

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  cr55 
#1 ·
First time poster but ive been visiting this forum for a while now and I would like to say this is an amazing site. There is so much information on this site that it would take me months to read it all lol. Ok so here's my situation. I have a 1966 Ford F100 that im doing a frame off restoration. I will be putting disc brakes all around and doing all the body work, paint, etc myself. But when it comes to the engine, tranny, etc I really dont have anymore that basic knowledge of it. I will have about $6,000 for the engine, tranny, rear end, exhaust aspect of this truck so I have some options. I dont need everything new but I would like to have new guts in most of it when rebuilding everything. I want this truck to last me a long time, 75K+ miles, as I plan on having this truck for a long time. Ok here are some things that I would like to acheive through this. I will not be racing this truck but I want to have a powerful truck to have some fun with as a daily driver.
1. Get as close to 18+ mpg
2. Some where between 280-350 hp
3. Automatic transmission

So i guess what im asking is what kinds of setups would be best to accomplish this? Any input and advice on this matter is greatly appreciated. I can use all the help and advice I can get.

See less See more
#2 ·
tschmitt said:
First time poster but ive been visiting this forum for a while now and I would like to say this is an amazing site. There is so much information on this site that it would take me months to read it all lol. Ok so here's my situation. I have a 1966 Ford F100 that im doing a frame off restoration. I will be putting disc brakes all around and doing all the body work, paint, etc myself. But when it comes to the engine, tranny, etc I really dont have anymore that basic knowledge of it. I will have about $6,000 for the engine, tranny, rear end, exhaust aspect of this truck so I have some options. I dont need everything new but I would like to have new guts in most of it when rebuilding everything. I want this truck to last me a long time, 75K+ miles, as I plan on having this truck for a long time. Ok here are some things that I would like to acheive through this. I will not be racing this truck but I want to have a powerful truck to have some fun with as a daily driver.
1. Get as close to 18+ mpg
2. Some where between 280-350 hp
3. Automatic transmission

So i guess what im asking is what kinds of setups would be best to accomplish this? Any input and advice on this matter is greatly appreciated. I can use all the help and advice I can get.

Get the complete drivetrain from a 5.0 mustang, the later the model the better. It should run you about $1000 to $2000. Its all Ford, and parts availability is GREAT (almost as good as a sbc).

#3 ·
Get on to craigslist.org and look for a late model ford pickup in the auto parts section..find one that has been wrecked and that is being parted out..buy the whole truck and make it your parts bin..you will get everything that you need and as far as your performance needs those will do what you desire..With a stand alone computer you will be well within budget.of course if you want DOHC engine then look for a Lincoln..Lots of choices and if you look you can find one low mileage that will certainly last a long time..

Sam

#4 ·
OneMoreTime said:
Get on to craigslist.org and look for a late model ford pickup in the auto parts section..find one that has been wrecked and that is being parted out..buy the whole truck and make it your parts bin..you will get everything that you need and as far as your performance needs those will do what you desire..With a stand alone computer you will be well within budget.of course if you want DOHC engine then look for a Lincoln..Lots of choices and if you look you can find one low mileage that will certainly last a long time..

Sam
Absolutely agree. Buy a donor truck or car and use everything out of it. If you disassemble it carefully, you can use all the wiring. I've been keeping an eye out for a '93-'97 Lincoln Mark. They used an all-alloy DOHC motor that just trips my trigger and would be lovely in an MGB or other "offshore" type of roadster. Independent rear suspension and the whole ball of wax. I've heard of them going for as low as $800. Look for one that's been tweaked on the side or not hit too hard in the rear.

#5 ·
5.0L (302) engines are a dime a dozen. I don't have the specifics in front of me, but 87 and later 302s are roller blocks, meaning you can use a roller cam. That pays off big time with torque and reliability. Then there is a range of years that used forged pistons. That is great if you have an engine that doesn't need to be rebuilt. If you can find a low-mileage 5.0 mustang with forged pistons and a roller cam, test the compression. If it tests OK, buy it and don't look back. You should be able to get one for $500.

The EFI that comes with it is usually pretty easy to adapt. Just get the computer and wiring with it (probably additional to the $500) and install it. There are a few OD trannys that will work behind it. The C4 is a non-electric 3-speed auto that will do well. The AOD is a common tranny but it can have some shifting issues and lockup torque converter failures that can make it a little less desirable. The later E4OD is a fine tranny, but requires a computer to run it.

Depending on your target use, there are a lot of rear axles that will survive just fine with that kind of power. The 8" ford will take that kind of juice if you don't plan on towing a lot or carrying tons of weight. Gear ratios are limited for that axle, but they are practically free these days with all the folks upgrading. Be careful on which one you get since some of them are very narrow. The 8.8" is a really great axle. It can be found in Explorers and other light trucks with disc brakes already on it. It is basically a stolen copy of a GM 12-bolt. The 9" is the popular one. It is slightly stronger than the 8.8, but since everyone wants a 9" the price reflects that. In my opinion, with a street "car" under 500 hp, a 9" isn't worth the money you pay to get it.

A wiser Ford guru will be here any minute to expand on what I just spewed, but that should get your juices started.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really like the 5.0 mustang swap idea. I will be rebuilding any engine I get so are there any updates or performance mods that will help mpg, hp, torque, durability, etc that I should consider when tearing down a 5.0? My truck already has a 9 in rear end so I will most likely just re-gear it. As for the transmission ive read about the C-4 and it looks to be what im looking for. Are their any upgrades that I should consider when I rebuild that as well? I would like to put AC in my truck and im not sure if its possible to take the AC out of the mustang and fabricate it to fit my truck. Sorry for all the questions im just trying to get a game plan ready so I can start getting parts and storing them for the summer when I hope to start putting this together. Thank you all for the advice so far, its greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
With the C4, put in a trans shift kit, it just keeps the shifting clean and crisp. It should be no problem to put the a/c in your truck, just use some universal flex piping instead of the plastic factory pieces.

B&M and TCI both have shift kits as well as some upgrade parts for the rebuild.

#8 ·
well l agree with the donor car for your f-100,l think it would be better to get the parts from the truck side of it, 5.4 triton would be a good start, or even the 4.6 as you can tune them into where you want them, they are alittle expensive to rebuild but if you find a good drivetrain your laughing, the newer xlts are disc brakes all around, if you got the time to look around you,will fine one cheap and have everything you need, good gas mileage with hp,torque and updated, l've got 2,a 97 and 99 both with 5 speeds great mileage and pulling

#9 ·
a late model engine/trans swap is the way to go to get power and mpg and reliability.

I have seen many low mile, late model, GM 5.3 votec truck engines with transmission for 2500.00. 300hp and 18 mpg setups in stock form. Get a engine complete from fan to driveshaft with all belts, accessories, and efi system. These are very long lasting engines so no rebuild would be required. However, a 700.00 wiring harness would be required to use this engine in your truck.

#10 ·
THe newer GM's and Fords are great engines, but not as cheap as an old 5.0. A truck drivetrain isn't a bad idea either but some people like saying they're running a sportscar's drivetrain- GM guys do it a LOT with corvette engines.

To me it doesn't make a difference since you're swapping out half the parts anyways, but to some it does.

SUV's are another option.

I think the general point is to find a wrecked viehicle and buy the whole thing.

#14 ·
Doing the swap

Just to make a few corrections,Your Ford already has a 9" rear,no need to change that.Ford went to the roller cam in 1985,Mustangs and MKVII Lincolns (the LSC's are a good donor to look for)came with both standard 5.0's and the H.O.5.0. A real good site to help you is www.sbftech.com,the webmaster is Jay Allen who also is owner of Camshaft Innovations you can read posts from customers who have hit 30 mpg with cams he provided :thumbup: The best AOD for a swap is from 1987-92 these are non-computer, the torque converter is NOT usually a problem,pre '87 AODs were weak without mods that were in the '87 and later also the input shaft was the weak link in AOD's.pm me for more info on parts sources for beefing the AOD.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I will most likely just do a whole drivetrain swap, re-gear my 9 in, and try and transplant as much of the the newer vehicle into my truck as I can. Once I get my truck takin down to the frame sometime within the next 3 months I will have made a decision on which drivetrain swap im going to do. Thanks again for all the help and advice as im going to be needing alot more in the near future. If you guys have any futher input or advice please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.