need some help to get more power out my 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 04:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

need some help to get more power out my 350

ok guys whats going on. i had bought a 76 caprice and i want to put a nice fast 350 chevy for the streets this is going to be my daily driver to. dont know too much about this and what all good parts to get. i got a 350 chevy and a turbo 350 tranny im about to get the motor rebuilt & bored.30 over and tranny rebuilt and going to put a shift kit in it. so what elso should i do to get more power out my 350. and im puttin some nice headers with dual 40 series flowmasters.

like what kinda carb and manifold was thinkin elderbrock? whats a good cam and lifters? do i need to upgrade my crank shaft? help me out guys

Advertisement

Last edited by 76 CAPRICE; 07-02-2004 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 04:20 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

This all depends on what you want.

Just rebuilding the engine will yield more power than what you had. Swapping the rear gears to around 3.73-1 will give you much quicker accelaration and feel like more power. Depending on your driving habits and how much money you want to spend will determine the final results in your quest for more power. A mild cam and a good intake and 4 barrel carb with headers and the rear gear change will more than likely give you the results you want. More money and additional engine mods (heads) would yield even better power increase.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:55 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

How fast do you want it to be? A mild 350 in a car that heavy wont be very fast.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

u need cubes to move that tank. Drop a 400 in it and you'll get the results you're lookin 4

K
Old 07-02-2004, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

I agree. More cubes for that tank. I would go for a 454, you need gobs of torque. You would be money ahead in the long run if you found one running and dropped it in, then change the gears out back.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:10 AM

so yall sayin puttin money into my 350 is a waste? and get a 400
Old 07-03-2004, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 76 CAPRICE
so yall sayin puttin money into my 350 is a waste? and get a 400
Well, before throwing away the 350 you need to be more specific about your goals. You want more power but how much? Are just wanting something a with more pep or are you trying to be the fastest guy in town? Are you willing to give up gas mileage, willing to put up with rough idle and an idle speed of 1200 rpm or so and do you still want the power brakes to work? How much money are you willing to spend on it? Lastly if you don't have much experience tuning motors with aftermarket carbs, manifold swaps and big cams I would suggest staying on the conservitive side. You'll find that even with the most basic bolt on upgrades you'll have to buy/make or modify related parts like throttle cable brackets, kick down cables, pvc plumbing, alternator/power steering/ air conditioner brackets.
I find that most people who are entry level to this hobby are quite surprised by the results of a well built small block with conservitive upgrades. Spend your money on quality parts rather than the most radical parts if this to be a daily driver. If I were you I would pick a cam with something close to these specs 204 intake 210 to 214 exhaust duration at .050" lift with 112 degree lope seperation. Pay little attention to they advertised duration such as 268, 272, 280 those numbers can be quite deceptive. There are cases where company a's 268 cam is the exact same grind as company b's 272 cam.
Go with something like an Edelbrock performer intake and a 600 cfm carb. Budget out what all this will cost pluse the cost of the basic rebuild of your engine with hyperuetectic pistons and moly rings and add a couple of hundred $$ for things that will come up unexepctedly. Figure all this up before you buy anything. If you still have money left over you might want to consider adding a stroker crank and pistons to make your 350 a 383. Keep in mind that a stroke motor is going to need a new flexplate, balancer and some grinding or machining so that the cranck and rods will clear the block and cam.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:09 AM

i dont to be the fastest person on the street just want to beef up my motor a little bit. thanks alot for the advice guys and more infoe would be cool
Old 07-05-2004, 10:16 AM

these guys will be more specifis but i would do a cam intake carb headers and exaust will prolly get you where you need to be like i said they will be more specific. as to what works the best. but first i would so a compression test to make sure you have a good engine to start with.
Jesse
Old 07-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by tresi
Well, before throwing away the 350 you need to be more specific about your goals. You want more power but how much? Are just wanting something a with more pep or are you trying to be the fastest guy in town? Are you willing to give up gas mileage, willing to put up with rough idle and an idle speed of 1200 rpm or so and do you still want the power brakes to work? How much money are you willing to spend on it? Lastly if you don't have much experience tuning motors with aftermarket carbs, manifold swaps and big cams I would suggest staying on the conservitive side. You'll find that even with the most basic bolt on upgrades you'll have to buy/make or modify related parts like throttle cable brackets, kick down cables, pvc plumbing, alternator/power steering/ air conditioner brackets.
I find that most people who are entry level to this hobby are quite surprised by the results of a well built small block with conservitive upgrades. Spend your money on quality parts rather than the most radical parts if this to be a daily driver. If I were you I would pick a cam with something close to these specs 204 intake 210 to 214 exhaust duration at .050" lift with 112 degree lope seperation. Pay little attention to they advertised duration such as 268, 272, 280 those numbers can be quite deceptive. There are cases where company a's 268 cam is the exact same grind as company b's 272 cam.
Go with something like an Edelbrock performer intake and a 600 cfm carb. Budget out what all this will cost pluse the cost of the basic rebuild of your engine with hyperuetectic pistons and moly rings and add a couple of hundred $$ for things that will come up unexepctedly. Figure all this up before you buy anything. If you still have money left over you might want to consider adding a stroker crank and pistons to make your 350 a 383. Keep in mind that a stroke motor is going to need a new flexplate, balancer and some grinding or machining so that the cranck and rods will clear the block and cam.
Good advice man, but I've made the mistake of putting a small-block in a big heavy car. I had teh roller cam, the dual plane, the headers, msd, decent compression and guess what? It wasn't nearly enough. If I had it to do over again, I would go with more cubes.

Furthermore, no motor idling rough at 1200 R's is going to move a tank out very well. Any motor you build is going to have to come up with some torque numbers off the bottom, or you're stuck. This is very obviously a daily driver car.

This is why I suggested a 400. First off, its cheap as you can use all the regular small block parts. You can stick a little more cam in them as they have the cubes to even out the idle (268 comps would be a great street cam for a 400). They're lightweight and do not require modifications to drop in as a big block would. I would argue after you spend the money on the 454, spend time and money changing the car to handle the big block you're money ahead just doing the 400. Keep in mind a big block is about 300 pounds heavier too (i might be off on this, but the point remains) you're sacrficing 300 pounds for 54 cubes. Not much difference in an et if you ask me!

Sound like the perfect motor yet?

K
Old 07-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
Good advice man, but I've made the mistake of putting a small-block in a big heavy car. I had teh roller cam, the dual plane, the headers, msd, decent compression and guess what? It wasn't nearly enough. If I had it to do over again, I would go with more cubes.

K
I agree. I put a warmed over 350 in my Lighter little '28 Ford Pickup and it still isn't nearly enough. Big block in the future! No substitute for cubes!

As to the original question, it all depends on what he wants from his car.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 AM

if i do get a 400 could i still use my th350 or go with a th400
Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 76 CAPRICE
if i do get a 400 could i still use my th350 or go with a th400
You can still use your TH350.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.