Hot Rod Forum banner

Need Some Help with a project...

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Only Racing 
#1 ·
Hi, my dad just started a new business. And, he wants a sign for it, but us being big car guys, that is what we centered it around. (I hope you don't consider this advertising, because I am not advertising...) The business name is If It Has A Motor and is basically a little consignment shop for dudes. Well.,I work with photoshop, and need some help with his sign. We drafted up an idea with the sign showing a SBC with the headers showing fire. Like a car-toon, but want just the motor. I also need to know how to make chrome letters (for the name of the business), I have used the chrome filter on photoshop before, but it looks like crap like most of the time. So, I was wondering if anyone can help me find a SBC in the form of a car-toon and a tutorial on how to make chrome letters. Nothing too fancy, just going on a white background. If anyone can help me on this matter, I would appreciated it very much.

---BOWTIEKID---

#3 ·
There's tons of ways to create the chrome look, but it all depnds on "How Chrome" you want it. There is a sterile chrome that is basically black and white but the way you align the highlights makes it seem very real and most will use this on a certain background. IMO chrome should be reflective and usually show some signs of color in it. Photoshops chrome filter is just that, a filter. Look in your styles section.

Go to shapes, create any shape, but use one of the styles, PS give you a small default to use, but you will get the idea. Depending on how large the text is or the image you are applying a style to, you have to adjust a few parameters. Make a text layer and copy the shape style and paste it to our text layer. Boom, you have a somewhat chrome look that you can adjust.

There's tons of tutorials out there on chroming, just google and find what you feel comfortable with.

There are many free styles also you can download and install into your styles presets.

As for tooning an engine, clipart with a commons license is a good start, will be generic but quite usable.

www.letterheadfonts.com has one of the cleanest examples of proper chroming in their tutorials section. These are some of the best signmen around with creation of fonts and sinage.

#5 ·
Well, after having a conversation with my dad. He made a few changes to his business, that completely changed my project... So, after double-checking what he wanted (and thanks to Google images) I put together a logo. This will probably be tweaked later, but it will do for now. It only took a few hours to put together, and it was all free.

P.S. Thank you Only Racing for your advice. That really helped... :thumbup:

Here it is:

Leitchfield Racing

#7 ·
It looks really good Bowtie, You can do plenty of variations since this will be an image and not a sign , even if it's a sign it can be made into a very large plastic wrap style image for really cheap to any size. I'd like to see you use a different font or enlarge some of the eye catching letters like the beginning of the name and the middle letters, possibly merge the two engines together and add a backround pattern of something techinal or carbon fiber, checkered flags and so on enclosed in a shape "Oval" Sign" Road Sign shapes.

Fonts are the hardest choice, You definatley need a "Fat Font" to make use of the beveling I don't think it's free but Serrpentine D Bold is a great one for what you have there and quite usable, Anything bold and extended in fonts would make it much cleaner. Just my ¢.02

Maybe layer the text over the image and size to fit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.