Need Some Help with a project... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
3rd gen gear head

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Some Help with a project...

Hi, my dad just started a new business. And, he wants a sign for it, but us being big car guys, that is what we centered it around. (I hope you don't consider this advertising, because I am not advertising...) The business name is If It Has A Motor and is basically a little consignment shop for dudes. Well.,I work with photoshop, and need some help with his sign. We drafted up an idea with the sign showing a SBC with the headers showing fire. Like a car-toon, but want just the motor. I also need to know how to make chrome letters (for the name of the business), I have used the chrome filter on photoshop before, but it looks like crap like most of the time. So, I was wondering if anyone can help me find a SBC in the form of a car-toon and a tutorial on how to make chrome letters. Nothing too fancy, just going on a white background. If anyone can help me on this matter, I would appreciated it very much.

---BOWTIEKID---

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
3rd gen gear head

Last photo:

I hope everyone can understand that...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

There's tons of ways to create the chrome look, but it all depnds on "How Chrome" you want it. There is a sterile chrome that is basically black and white but the way you align the highlights makes it seem very real and most will use this on a certain background. IMO chrome should be reflective and usually show some signs of color in it. Photoshops chrome filter is just that, a filter. Look in your styles section.

Go to shapes, create any shape, but use one of the styles, PS give you a small default to use, but you will get the idea. Depending on how large the text is or the image you are applying a style to, you have to adjust a few parameters. Make a text layer and copy the shape style and paste it to our text layer. Boom, you have a somewhat chrome look that you can adjust.

There's tons of tutorials out there on chroming, just google and find what you feel comfortable with.

There are many free styles also you can download and install into your styles presets.

As for tooning an engine, clipart with a commons license is a good start, will be generic but quite usable.

www.letterheadfonts.com has one of the cleanest examples of proper chroming in their tutorials section. These are some of the best signmen around with creation of fonts and sinage.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 PM
3rd gen gear head

Last photo:

ok, thanks a bunch.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 PM
3rd gen gear head

Last photo:

Well, after having a conversation with my dad. He made a few changes to his business, that completely changed my project... So, after double-checking what he wanted (and thanks to Google images) I put together a logo. This will probably be tweaked later, but it will do for now. It only took a few hours to put together, and it was all free.

P.S. Thank you Only Racing for your advice. That really helped...

Here it is:

Leitchfield Racing
Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 AM
3rd gen gear head

Last photo:

I was also looking for some suggestions... If you all think there is something else that needs to be done to this image, let me know.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

It looks really good Bowtie, You can do plenty of variations since this will be an image and not a sign , even if it's a sign it can be made into a very large plastic wrap style image for really cheap to any size. I'd like to see you use a different font or enlarge some of the eye catching letters like the beginning of the name and the middle letters, possibly merge the two engines together and add a backround pattern of something techinal or carbon fiber, checkered flags and so on enclosed in a shape "Oval" Sign" Road Sign shapes.

Fonts are the hardest choice, You definatley need a "Fat Font" to make use of the beveling I don't think it's free but Serrpentine D Bold is a great one for what you have there and quite usable, Anything bold and extended in fonts would make it much cleaner. Just my ¢.02

Maybe layer the text over the image and size to fit

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.