Need some help on timing cover and cam button combo. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need some help on timing cover and cam button combo.

Hello guys well I just keep running into all kinds of issues with my truck and just can't get a break. This is a SBC 350 2 piece rear main seal early style block and I am putting in a Lunati voodoo retrofit Hydraullic roller cam and I got one of jegs aluminum timing covers wich clears my double roller timing chain just fine. Well I stuck my cam bolt locking plate on along with my jegs ( same as the comp .795 button) steel roller cam button and my cover hits my cam button and it seems like I have around a 1/8 to 1/4 space. I don't have any way of having the timing cover machined cause of funds and don't want to go with the hassel. I want to use the steel roller cam button cause it is the best option. Is anyone running this type of setup or close to it with a steel roller button and is so what did you do? Is there any suggestions on what I can do. I called summit and they said I can grind the button down but it would be too much cause the c clip that holds it together would be gone at that point. I just don't know what to do now. The summit tech guys where no help and could not offer any advice.
Thanks guys
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
my cover hits my cam button and it seems like I have around a 1/8 to 1/4 space. I don't have any way of having the timing cover machined cause of funds and don't want to go with the hassel.
What about using a simple nylon button? The material's not just nylon- it has properties so it'll handle the heat and wear. Comp had them- prob still does. They can be easily modified to whatever size is required.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Well I just got done looking around for different cam buttons and I was able to come up with a shorter one from comp cams and will go from there. My dad has a drill press and hopefully will be able to get the proper clearance by grinding out some of the cover. I hope it works. It's crap you have to customize so much stuff nowadays to make it work.
Eric
Old 07-25-2009, 05:37 PM
More for Less Racer

You could also just machine the non c-clipped end of the button, done it many a time and it is the correct end to modify because you will hit the c-clip with very little metal removal from the other end.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

That was what my dad was thinking of doing at first but he had a good point that taking off from the back of the button would not make it sit flush with the locking plate and would let it move back and forth in different motions with the cam. He was thinking of making a shim for it but I did not want to have to get into much headache to make this work. So I got the shorter button wich will help and now all I will have to do is clearance the cover some. In the future I will just get a nylon type button but I don't know how long (miles wise ) they last but I know they can be grinded down to spec. I will have to post and say how things went. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to post a new vid of my cam swap. Thanks guys
Eric
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 AM

The cam button on my gear drive just has a series of washers in the middle of it, to shorten it you just eremove a washer or two..
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

Well mine does to I didn't know you could take them apart like that. Do you just remove the c clip and take some off then? I could try that but still don't know if I will have enough clearance. I will do that if necessary as well on my new one coming in if needed. Also not to sound stupid but what did you use to get the c clip off with? Would needle nose pliers work.
Thanks
Eric
Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Use a small snap ring pliers. Made just for this. Get them at Auto Zone or other parts store. Necessary tool.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.