Need some IFS advice. No Limit, Fatman or TCI? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need some IFS advice. No Limit, Fatman or TCI?

I have a 58 F100 that I am starting on and I have decided to install an IFS instead of clipping the front end. I plan on running the stock suspension in the rear, with the flipped axle and c notched frame. I like a little rake in the stance, so a fixed height drop in the front is fine. I am looking for about 3 -4 inches of drop.

I have looked into the various kits and other than price, I can't really see a big difference between the No Limit Wide Ride, the Fatman and the TCI Kits. No Limit claims to be different than a MII kit, but from what I have read, it looks to be the same basic kit.

So, I'd like to hear from you folks. What do you guys think? Is there one that is significanly better than the others? Is there one to avoid?

All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

I have a TCI MII under my '56 F100. I first had power rack but the GM pump mismatched and even with a heidt's pressure-flow reducer it still was very twitchy on the highway.....so I went with a manual rack and now is ok...a little "heavy" when standing still. If you only want a 3-4" drop I would go with stock spindles...not the 2" dropped spindles.
Installation and alignment are critical in liking or disliking any MII.
As for the other manufacturers: I dunno.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDhawk
I can't really see a big difference between the No Limit Wide Ride, the Fatman and the TCI Kits. No Limit claims to be different than a MII kit, but from what I have read, it looks to be the same basic kit.

Rob @ No Limit is great to deal with and hell of a nice guy. They do make a kit that is not based on Mustang II geometry as does TCI(Custom IFS). The Custom IFS from TCI has been doing very well in their autocross shop car. Those types of kits are more performance driven than comfort and budget driven like the Mustang II. The Mustang II front end is used by many manufacturers because it is easy to adapt to many different chassis's. They are cost effective and there is a ton of aftermarket support. You won't find much difference between all the manufacturers as far as design is concerned when comparing them. The differences will be in the details, like what replacement parts they are using, ball joints, brakes, bushings, rack, etc etc. Some manufacturers will cheap out on these parts to come in at a lower price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergusonic
I have a TCI MII under my '56 F100. I first had power rack but the GM pump mismatched and even with a heidt's pressure-flow reducer it still was very twitchy on the highway.....so I went with a manual rack and now is ok...a little "heavy" when standing still. If you only want a 3-4" drop I would go with stock spindles...not the 2" dropped spindles.
Installation and alignment are critical in liking or disliking any MII.
As for the other manufacturers: I dunno.
FYI: The standard rack provided by TCI is 2.5 turns lock to lock and is a '86-'89 Thunderbird rack. The early 80's T-Bird rack is 3 turns lock to lock and will definitely slow the twitchyness down.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check this guy out:
here

He's small enough to be helpful, large enough to have good quality, cross members are 1/4in. instead of 3/16. My buddy has installed about 40 of his M2 units and swears by him. He's also a couple of hundred cheaper for the entire package.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
He's also a couple of hundred cheaper for the entire package.

$1699 for the base kit

Power Rack & Pinion (Manual Rack is standard) add $100.00
2" Dropped Spindles add $50.00
Anti-sway Bar 1" dia add $200.00

That is $2049 for what has to be his most common package.

Those same options from TCI are $1669. I'm not sure if he covers freight for that price but most of the big name guys do as long as it is within the lower 48.

It's pretty cool that he is using 1/4" plate for the crossmember but I think it is overkill. Especially when you take into account that the crossmember is still being welded onto a frame that is more than likely less than .150".
Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I never installed a No Limit front end, (although I have bought stuff from them in the past, and they are alright, as stated by slow4dr). I just checked their website, and the F100 front end I saw looked pretty cool, and I really liked this little bit of info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit website
all 4 lower a-arm bushings use "double shear" mounting (a Wide Ride exclusive) to reduce flex
That's a problem area that up until now, I've seen no other company address..

The TCI kit is strong, but the eccentric upper adjusters kinda suck...not alot of adjustment, and they move around unless you tack weld them. The last TCI custom IFS I installed had to be reworked, as the upper a arms were in the wrong place, and I could not get the proper camber settings once installed and mocked up, (no, not installer error..it's a fully assembled crossmember, with all suspension geometry points welded in from TCI), but TCI did eventually straighten it out by making us new upper a arms..on their nickel...So they are still ok in my book, although it took about 10 emails, a bunch of questions designed to make me out to be the fool, a bunch of pics, and dimensioned drawings ,a bunch of unreturned calls to Evan and Sal and Shelly who all let it go for over a month until I threatened to put everything up here...( Praise the power of hotrodders.com).
Then George from TCI's R&D department got involved, and made it right in a matter of days..
But that's the way it always goes, with any of those big manufacturers.sheet happens....I'd still use thier stuff.

(slow4dr- you can check back in the TCI records...look up sales order 0314366, dated 7-7-09)

The TCI custom IFS does make the truck way low, I actually installed a couple about 1" lower in the frame because of it.

Fatman is ok, and the price is right, but the a arms and lower attachment points are a bit weak, IMO, for an f100...The 5/16 crossmember is way heavy, but the lack of width at the inboard mounts of the A arm makes them unsuitable for a heavy car. I know they actually made them bigger, after having a few failures, but they are still not big enough.

Heidts is another option.

So is Jim Meyer Racing..Those guys make some really nice stuff, and it is NOT MII at all..They use 78-88 Impala spindles, brakes and ball joints, which are much better suited for a heavier rod, like a F100.
http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/pu5.html

No matter which front end you use, make sure you check the sheet metal for wheel centerline BEFORE you go to weld that crossmember in, as the F100s are known for having the stock axle centerline back too far..last one I did I had to move the crossmember forward 1 1/4" to get the wheels centered in the front fenders.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 06-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

I noticed Evan was the name on the order so George and him must have conversed at one point to get you straightened out. I hear you though, I worked the tech department for close to 2 years before moving over to purchasing. Evan and Sal are both very busy guys, sometimes almost so busy that I can't even get a moment with them.

I have had pretty good luck with the eccentrics. They have been making the tolerances between the eccentric and the outer tubes much tighter the last 2 years so that has helped a bunch.

-J

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.