Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need some info
Thread: need some info
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbbf View Post
Hi guys.I'm gonna switch from a bbf fox body over to a CHEVY.I'm looking at a 71vega.406 dart pro1 heads.13:1 compression 780 lift cam solid roller car runs on alcohol.guy says it runs 5.80 1/8 mile.car has no weight savings done to it
Is his claim possible?? I've always raced bbf's and to me that seems a little fast for that set up? Any help would be apreciated.thanks guys
Umm it does sound fishy cause 13:1 is a little low for an alky motor. I would go as high as i could afford to make work. 14:1 or more.

Dart makes good heads capable of alot of power. For 780 lift they would be using big valve heads. 780 is way over kill for 2.02 valves. Solid roller sounds right but it also sounds like a max effort combo. 18 degree or other pro style heads would help alot. It does sound possible with alk and max effort build you could reach the power level it takes to put the little vega down the track.

Sbc does make a good race combo and will put the car down the track a little easier than the big fords but its all about the setup. Day one i would not expect anything close. But yeah properly built just like most any engine they will make a lot of power. Probably more than enough.

Ask him to take it to the track and run the number for you. Agree on a price if it performs and one if it dont.