Hot Rod Forum banner

Need some pointers on Holley carb

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
I'm going to go look at a Holley model 4150 390cfm carb tomorrow and wanted to get some insight on what to look at when I see the carb to help keep me from buying a piece of junk. I pretty much have only dealt with Edelbrocks and my knowledge of Holleys is pretty minimal. When talking to the guy he told me that the only thing wrong with the carb was the rod that opens the 4 bbl is missing. This carb was on a Ford 300 I6, I'm thinking the rod was removed to keep the 4 bbl from opening and use the carb as a 2bbl. Just a thought that I had. I would think that this rod could be replaced fairly easily.

When I look at this carb, what would you all suggest I look at or for? The guy is asking $50 and I might be able to get him to come down a little from this. I'm sure if it is in good shape, I'll probably have to put a kit in it anyways, which would be a good thing for me, it would help me get a better knowledge of how the carb works.

#2 ·
Green deposits and worn throttle plates, any play is basically unacceptable in the throttle bushes. If it looks anything less than new with original gold alodizing walk away, I've seen so much junk patched together with spare parts I wouldn't consider anything that wasn't in new condition.

Been there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.