Hot Rod Forum banner

Need some SBC blower advice

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  illenema 
#1 ·
I recently came across what I think is a good deal (let me know your thoughts) on a Weiand 8-71 blower kit for a small block. It's all rebuilt with me bearings, seals, etc.

The kit includes:
  • Weiand 8-71 non polished blower
  • Weiand 8-71 intake for SBC
  • Linkage kit for side-by-side carbs
  • 3" wide drive belt
  • 1:1 pulley kit set up on 52 tooth gear
  • Dual 650cfm demon carburetors set up for blower

The price is $2500 firm. Is it worth it? I don't have the motor to support it yet but I figured if its a steal I can have it sit until I can build the motor.

#2 ·
A new, polished 8-71 kit from Summit is $3,700. Does this come with the idler bracket, carb adapter, pop-off valve and all? Depending on the intended use, a 1:1 ratio is a little steep for street with an 8-71, which comes from Holly underdriven for SBC's, but pulley's are reasonable and keep the static c.r. 8.0:1 or lower.

These blowers don't use teflon strips, so rotors should be checked, look for scoring in the case and on the rotors themselves. Remember you will need a small cap distributor and highly recommend a BTM or other ignition setup to pull timing relative to boost. Ask for receipts!

I run Mighty Demon 750 BC's on my 8-71 383. they work well.

#5 ·
It's not a bad deal if it is all there and the blower is in good shape. I like the satin blower as they run a little cooler....more surface area.

The 8-71 is 1 inch longer than the 6-71 so there is not a lot of clearance around the dist. Definitely a small cap required.

I think 1:1 is a bit too high for a sbc on the street but this is an esy fix.

You will need carb fuel lines $180-$300
throttle linkage $130+
Scoop and air cleaners $330 +
90 deg water neck
good fuel pump
#8 fuel lines
Pressure regulator and return line
good free flow fuel filter
blower pulley for 10% underdrive to start with. $100
you wil have to check on the water pump. It could require either a short pump or a long pump. Do get a high flow aluminum one.

You will need a gig radiator. Gm 31 " cross flow double 1" tube minimum
the best single 16-17 in fan or double fans for about 3000 cfm and a fan controller.

Plus a well done motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.