Need some upholstery clip help/advice - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Golly....and just when I thought I had a corner on the market. Of course I was only discussing my 'extra work' charges for this week. I'm not counting that gallon of ChromaBase - the color once shot I hated, or the $500/each Billet Specialties wheel/tire combo that wouldn't clear the rear rotors(those will be used on a trailer I'll build) or the Glide Engineering 50/50 seats that ended up upholstered too big for my roadster (those will be added to the classifieds on of these days).

Dewey - sounds like you "forgot" to replace that temporary auger bolt with a shear version (now, how do I know about that kind of little gem)

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 07:51 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Dewey - sounds like you "forgot" to replace that temporary auger bolt with a shear version (now, how do I know about that kind of little gem)
You couldn't be more correct Dave. Two seasons ago I got tired of shearing pins so Mr. Smart Guy here came up with the brilliant idea of replacing the standard bolts (one on each side) with grade five bolts.

So when my nice gear drive...

Met up with a pretty blue tarp (note area on end that was gobbled up)...

This is the outcome...

So a word to the wise. Learn from Mr. Stupid. Shear pins are SUPPOSED to shear now and then. So don't try to outfox them. Unless you enjoy shelling out $320 at a crack.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 PM

OK - did some experimenting with clip holes and industrial Velcro.

First of all, .25 is absolutely the bare minimum size to use while .282 (9/32nds) works a bit better. I ended up at .3125 (5/16ths) simply because of the fact that when I took the old, bent versions out, there was no way to figure the orientation and it was a bit easier to get the clips and the holes aligned. Twenty two of these 'Ford' clips are available in a package at NAPA for $4.99 which is outrageous, but that's what was available yesterday

Velcro - I picked up a 2 inch by 5 foot roll of the industrial stuff at WalMart yesterday to try on the ABS. It sticks like gangbusters after the 24 hour cure. Because of the way my upholstery was made, couldn't use it for my project. It is a viable attaching method though if you build the interior for that material. The roll I bought was $7.67 and a 15 footer was $19.67.

One more item that became painful - staples sticking through the ABS - they are beyond SHARP and I now have band aids on 3 fingers and a couple of reddish stains on one panel.

Dewey - great photos Of course my shear bolts on my 48" blower attached to my diesel yard tractor are good ol' 5/16" Gr2 - I just wanted to be safe rather then sorry by using Gr5 or 8

Dave W
Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

First of all, .25 is absolutely the bare minimum size to use while .282 (9/32nds) works a bit better. I ended up at .3125 (5/16ths) simply because of the fact that when I took the old, bent versions out, there was no way to figure the orientation and it was a bit easier to get the clips and the holes aligned. Twenty two of these 'Ford' clips are available in a package at NAPA for $4.99 which is outrageous, but that's what was available yesterday
I'd like to know where the 1/4" hole size came from? The shank of the clip is almost 5/16" wide, so a 1/4" hole would work, but could distort and possibly damage the clip. I drill my holes 9/32", which has always worked well for me. Like everything else, if you start from scratch instead of trying to use old holes it would be much easier to mate the clips in the panels up to new holes.

As far as the Velcro goes, $20 for 15 feet is pretty pricey, and you're right, you need to plan ahead to use that product. I think 1" wide Velcro would be plenty. I assume that price include both sides, or is that price per side?

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I'd like to know where the 1/4" hole size came from? The shank of the clip is almost 5/16" wide, so a 1/4" hole would work, but could distort and possibly damage the clip. I drill my holes 9/32", which has always worked well for me. Like everything else, if you start from scratch instead of trying to use old holes it would be much easier to mate the clips in the panels up to new holes.

As far as the Velcro goes, $20 for 15 feet is pretty pricey, and you're right, you need to plan ahead to use that product. I think 1" wide Velcro would be plenty. I assume that price include both sides, or is that price per side?
The dimension - 1/4" is tight - that's the size my upholsterer used, then add 5-6 coats of BC/CC, and it's really tight and virtually impossible to insert a clip without bending it. I agree that 9/32" is probably the best size - or - in my case, 5/16 which is only 1/32" more. I have to pull the kick panels tomorrow as I forgot to install the cowl top clamps, so will open those holes to 9/32" on them as well as use new clips

New clip holes were impossible with the already upholstered panels and the fact I don't have a good enough stapler to reattach the material tho I did some on the bottom with my electric gun (and a bit of contact cement).

$20/15' is for both sides of the Velcro - that stuff is expensive regardless and 2" wide is more so.

I do have to say that I would rather do mechanical or paint work then upholstery. I have the right tools but not for interior work

Dave W
Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I'd like to know where the 1/4" hole size came from?
Might have come from here, entry #23.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.