Need Some Wiring Help Please - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dakota digital does everything and is programable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys ran into a situation. The binary switch on the ac has 12volts at both terminals with the compressor running, when the compressor shuts off both terminals go to 0 volts. Im assuming that neither of those will work am I correct? The ONLY wire in the system I can see is here:

http://vintageair.com/DownloadsSecti...%29%20Inet.pdf

scroll down to page 23 on the wiring schematic.

The yellow wire on the blower motor has 12.9 volts only when the a/c is on and does not change with the compressor on or off. If I tap into this wire and use that as the signal wire for the electric fan will it put any strain or be bad to any components in the a/c system? Once the a/c switch is turned off there is 0 volts so I think this is the only wire available to use for the electric fan.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Check the black wire on the AC thermostat.

Yellow is the low speed power to the blower. I don't think you want to use that one.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

the black wire was a huge pain in the butt just to even see...got the probe on it for the volt meter and it looks like that wire will work as well. Should I put a t-tap on that wire and run that up to the relay? Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

If it has 12V on it all the time that AC is requested even when the compressor cycles off, then that is the wire to use.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 AM

Last photo:

Hey again! Im still finalizing the brackets that im making to hold the fan but I hooked up all the wiring and the toggle switch and a/c signals activate the fans. Dont know about the thermostat yet though because I havent been done enough to drive it and get the coolant hot. I do have one situation though, maybe you guys have some ideas.

The thermostat has a probe that goes in the upper radiator hose. Since doing that I think the wire coming off the probe that sticks out of the hose and goes to the thermostat may be creating a leak, the hose has a very very small leak now and im not sure what to do to fix it.

Maybe add a second clamp to that top hose for a tighter seal?
Any sealer/glue around the neck of the radiator and then slide the hose over that?
Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks a million!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestore
Hey again! Im still finalizing the brackets that im making to hold the fan but I hooked up all the wiring and the toggle switch and a/c signals activate the fans. Dont know about the thermostat yet though because I havent been done enough to drive it and get the coolant hot. I do have one situation though, maybe you guys have some ideas.

The thermostat has a probe that goes in the upper radiator hose. Since doing that I think the wire coming off the probe that sticks out of the hose and goes to the thermostat may be creating a leak, the hose has a very very small leak now and im not sure what to do to fix it.

Maybe add a second clamp to that top hose for a tighter seal?
Any sealer/glue around the neck of the radiator and then slide the hose over that?
Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks a million!
To me that is a lousy way to measure temperature. There may be a way to seal something like this, but I have no experience. If the probe is not to long or to large of diameter, you can put it next to the incoming tank in between two tubes. Then epoxy or silicone sealer from the front to protect it. I did the adjustable fan controller on our S10 this way and it works fine.

Being in the coolant stream is the best place, but having the tube between the hose and the inlet neck is a leak waiting to happen as you have found. If you collapse the tube coming from the probe it will not work and the whole thermostat will have to be replaced.

Hopefully someone with a better solution will post. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

Instead of putting the probe into the upper radiator hose. Put it through the fins in between the core bars about 5 inches from the top as close to the tank with the upper hose.(unless you have a top/bottom tank then just keep it 5 inches from the top of the radiator core.) BTW it shouldn't be a wire on the probe it should be a copper or brass tube that contains mercury, just like a mechanical temp gauge sensor would have...So don't kink it
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

yeah haha I had a brain fart and couldnt remember what material it was so I just said wire. It is a tiny tube, id say the probe is about 1/4" thick. The radiator is a stock 59 chevy truck radiator recored to handle a v8 motor. Being as there isint a whole lot of free room on the radiator would it be ok to mount it about 3 inches to the left of the upper hose and about 2 inches down? I could probably fit in on the very top of the core and have it touching the top brass tank so it would be directly between the fins and the tank if you think thats a better spot.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Ya i don't see why that wouldn't work.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

awesome..got an update also. Made my brackets for the fans because those ties through the radiator scare me got all the wiring done and everything works awesome! 99% of that radiator leak is repaired even with the probe inside it but ill put it in the radiator in a couple days because im going out of town.

I let the truck sit for about 20 minutes and it started to get hot so I adjust the t-stat for the fan to where I want it. Then let it sit for about another 45 minutes and it never overheated

Looks like I can take that road trip now without being afraid itll overheat on me!

Thanks a ton to everyone who helped me out...im sure my grandpa will be excited. He bought this truck new back in 1959 and gave it to my dad and My dad passed it on to me so the 3 of us are going to take a nice long road trip

You guys are always awesome!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 AM

Last photo:

ok because of the addition of the a/c system and the electric fan I think I should also update from the GM SI alternator to the GM CS alternator. Ive got one here and have modified a bracket to fit it to the motor. Since this is a 4 terminal I know ill also have to add in a resistor or get one of those pigtails to make it work properly but heres where I get confused.

On my SI alternator there are the 2 spade terminals and 1 ring terminal. Ive got 1 of the 2 spade terminals going to the ring terminal and the ring terminal going direct to the battery. The 2nd spade terminal is currently unused. When I get this conversion pigtail how would I wire it up? Do I need to wire up that 2nd spade terminal to something? Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

This should help, one is for the 3 wire, the others are 4 wire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12sialt.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	55046   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_GM_CS130_PLIS-3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	55047   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_GM_CS130_PLIS-2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	55048  
Old 05-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

yeah i was getting confused because i didnt see a resistor in line but realized it was inside the connector. thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

ok one of the wiring diagrams I found online a while back recommended that I add a diode to the 2 terminals on the fan. I happened to have the right diode laying around so I figured I would add it. See the link below for the wiring diagram a little over half way down.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php

I have the diode here and it has a color band on one side of it. Does the side with the band go on the negative or the positive side of the fan?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.