Need Some Wiring Help Please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Some Wiring Help Please

Hey guys I just switched over to an electric fan and ive figured out how to wire it all up but cant figure something out.

As most fans are it has 2 wires coming out, 1 positive, 1 negative. What I want to happen is have the fan turn on whenever the temp sensor tells it to and ALSO have it run ALWAYS when the a/c is on.

If anyone has a schematic that would be awesome. Thanks a million.
-Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

what kind of car we talking about?

Use a relay to supply power to the fan. Connect the negative side of the relay coil to temp sensor. When the engine temp reaches the sensors closing temp, it will provide the ground to complete the circuit through the relay coil energizing the relay, turning the fan on.

For AC request, find the wire on the control side of the AC high pressure switch. On some GMs it's on the dryer/accumulator. Tap into this wire to another relay to provide the ground for the above relay. Make sure you are on the control side of the AC high pressure switch or the fans will cycle with the compressor, which is what you don't want.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

after much research this is what I was able to compile for my project. This is a 59 chevy truck and I am trying to put the electric fan on it.

RELAY:
pin 86-toggle switch in car AND temp switch
pin 87-positive of fan motor
pin 87a-not used
pin 85-ignition power (only on when key is on)
pin 30-constant power from battery

for some reason one diagram I found had 85-30 tied together to constant battery power...anyone know why that is? Is the above setup I have correct? As for the a/c this is a sure-fit vintage air kit. Youre saying I should tap into the negative wire on the pressure switch and connect that to pin 86 as well?

If this is not correct any schematic or pin diagram similar to above would be perfect.

Last edited by chevyrestore; 05-03-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 AM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

DeRale makes a fan relay kit that has the relays, a thermostat probe and adjustable thermostatic control, A/C input, and an input for a manual 'on' switch, about $40.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestore
after much research this is what I was able to compile for my project. This is a 59 chevy truck and I am trying to put the electric fan on it.

RELAY:
pin 86-toggle switch in car AND temp switch
pin 87-positive of fan motor
pin 87a-not used
pin 85-ignition power (only on when key is on)
pin 30-constant power from battery

for some reason one diagram I found had 85-30 tied together to constant battery power...anyone know why that is? Is the above setup I have correct? As for the a/c this is a sure-fit vintage air kit. Youre saying I should tap into the negative wire on the pressure switch and connect that to pin 86 as well?

If this is not correct any schematic or pin diagram similar to above would be perfect.
Not sure what you are doing with the toggle switch on 86, but yes that will work. Connecting 85&30 to constant battery power will allow your fans to run when the key is off till the sensor cools down and opens. I personally would not do it that way, but suit yourself.

I don't know how Vintage air wires their stuff, but it may be a 12V+ wire going to the pressure switch. Check it, if it's 12V+ you will need to use another relay as I posted above.

Several companies make fan controllers as Cucumber has posted. Two relays and a bit of wiring is way cheaper, but the fan controllers are easy.

I have attached a schematic of how I did one on our S10. I used a fixed sensor for one fan and an adjustable fan controller for the other fan. It works well, probably overkill, but trouble free fan operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual fan control fuse block #5.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	54964  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Here's another option that is simpler, but a bit more expensive. You can replace your pressure switch with a trinary switch, which does everything the pressure switch does plus has a separate switch in it that that triggers the rad fan to come on at a certain refrigerant pressure. Here's a diagram of how I usually do it:

Note: Some radiator fans draw more amps than others. This diagram applies to common fans (such as Spal) that draws less than 20 amps. Fans that draw more would require a bigger circuit breaker, larger wires, and higher rated relays (sometimes dual relays).

Hope this helps.....
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

if it's a vintage air unit:
you should have a trinary switch installed to protect the system from low & high pressures
it also has a lead for fan on
Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

that last schematic is exactly what I want. I pulled up the schematic for the a/c kit and there is no Trinary switch...there is a Binary switch in line that has a wire from the a/c thermostat next to the blower motor going into the binary switch and then out of the switch to the compressor. The wire going to the compressor is 12v+ when running and 0v when not running. Since that last schematic had the a/c on the ground side am I going to need a second relay to make it work or how should I do that?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
that last schematic is exactly what I want. I pulled up the schematic for the a/c kit and there is no Trinary switch...there is a Binary switch in line that has a wire from the a/c thermostat next to the blower motor going into the binary switch and then out of the switch to the compressor....
The diagram I posted is assuming you use a trinary switch instead of a binary switch. A trinary does everything a binary does PLUS it also controls the radiator fan based on refrigerant pressure. A trinary switch looks like this:

Here is a link to the trinary switch wiring diagram on the Vintage Air website:
Vintage Air Trinary Switch

Quote:
....The wire going to the compressor is 12v+ when running and 0v when not running. Since that last schematic had the a/c on the ground side am I going to need a second relay to make it work or how should I do that?
If you do not use a trinary switch and just have the fan run all the time the AC is on, then yes, you would need another relay to change the positive signal from the AC thermostat to to a ground signal for the fan relay, just like Overdriv said before.

Hope this helps....
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Great thanks...since the signal at the compressor will go and off should I avoid that wire and put a relay on the wire that only has power with the ac on at the blower motor speed switch? Any ideas appreciated. Can someone also display how to run that second relay in the wiring schematic above? I don't want the fans to go on and off with the magnetic clutch.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Great thanks...since the signal at the compressor will go and off should I avoid that wire and put a relay on the wire that only has power with the ac on at the blower motor speed switch? Any ideas appreciated. Can someone also display how to run that second relay in the wiring schematic above? I don't want the fans to go on and off with the magnetic clutch.
You would probably want to tap into the wire between the binary switch and the AC Thermostat to trip the additional 'AC Request' relay. Like so:

(please pardon my hastily drawn diagram)

Good luck.....
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
On the attached schematic the AC request 12V+ will be the wire from your AC controls that sends 12V+to the pressure switch, then from there it will go to the compressor clutch. If you connect to the wire that is coming from the AC controls it will be 12V+ any time AC is selected. If you use the wire from the pressure switch to the compressor, the fan will cycle with the compressor.

If you have a pressure switch which supplies a ground during AC request, then obviously you will not need the second relay.

The first schematic I posted was not meant as the way you should wire your fan, only to show you how to use a relay to provide a ground.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan control with ac request.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	54978  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

do I need to use a circuit breaker or could I use a 30amp fusible link? Just wondering why a circuit breaker is being recommended when they arent as common as the fusible links.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
do I need to use a circuit breaker or could I use a 30amp fusible link? Just wondering why a circuit breaker is being recommended when they arent as common as the fusible links.
Personally I'd rather use a circuit breaker. It will reset after the load has been removed. A fusible link uses a smaller gauge wire as a sacrificial element that once it's opened it will need to be replaced.

Use what you feel comfortable using. Both will protect your wiring and devices.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

awesome thanks for the info. Ive got everything wired up minus the a/c relay setup because I ran out of wire The fans are supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon from Fedex so ill give it a go and let you guys know how it went. Thanks so far!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.