Need somewhere to race? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need somewhere to race?

I'm thinking about buying a large peice of land in the country and build a dragstrip. Anyone ever owned a track or know someone who did? what kind of advice could you give to get started and how could I get it sanctioned?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Great question!

Liability will probably be the biggest issue. I'm really not too savvy about track ownership, but I think the first thing I would do if I were really interested in starting one would be to tour about a dozen of them within your state and see which ones are successful and which aren't, and see what the differences are. Try to mimic success, so to speak. Talking to track owners would be a great idea, too, I think.

.02-

K
Old 07-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Yea I probably would have a big insurance bill. All the tracks I've been to make you sign a non liability form about 2 pages long and alot of fine print I bet that would save the lawsuits and such. I think 1/4mi tracks are the majority right but I would have two timing systems so you could run 1/8mi also. What are somethings peole would like to see new or improved at the tracks. I think it would be cool to have a jumbo screen with portable in car cameras.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

I would check "zoning" laws as well, just because the land is empty doesnt mean you can put whatever you want on it. im sure now-a-days, you need to be X amount of miles from residences and commercial property. and there are probably "noise" laws that might require you to be quiet after a certain time. I agree with Killer about liability. I saw on horsepower TV there was some guy in the south that has a strip, and has been running it since the 50's, I think he makes you sign a waiver to race there. probably a good idea.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Every track I ever been to you had to sign the form. Even that form won't stop the law suits. No form will stop gross negligence of safety requirement's. If a person can justify you didn't do all you could to prevent such a accident it's your ***. Gross negligence is a gray area that can go either way. I've seen it happen numerous times.

It one wild instance, I racer/driver sues the track for letting another enter a race. That offender was known to be rather aggressive. He spins this guy out, didn't look on purpose from a neutral standpoint you know, it looked like a aggressive move that a driver will do to a slower car just get him outa the way. Without intentions to spin anyone, you move them up the track so you can get under them. Nothing no other driver hasn't done before. The track was found at fault for allowing a racer to enter the race, or not penalizing him for aggressiveness which led to this incident. The slower driver spun and hit a light pole. Tearing up his car beyond easy repair.

This example is extreme, but it does happen.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

I would think that as an individual track you get out of race "responsibility". It doesnt sound like he wants to open a NHRA track or anything. just straight "grudge" match heads up racing? in that case the track can "opt" out of being responsible for the results. they provide the track, you provide the "rules" for the race. I wish I could remember the name of the track, its run by some old guy with an old model a or model t. provide a safe place for dudes to race against their buddys, keep them out of the streets. its a good idea, hopefully you can pull it off!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, the zoning laws might be a problem but the land is in the middle of nowhere in southern VA country. I saw that episode on horsepower where they had the little 8th mile heads up. Thats exactly what i would like to do, a place where you pay a small fee and run to your hearts content no NHRA or anything, unless I win the lottery.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Our local cicle track promotor pays $3000 a night for liability coverage. Maybe it's that, or the nagging neighbors that are forcing him to stop 30+ years of fun. Good luck.

In a while, Chet.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.