need specs to fabricate mustang II front control arms - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2003, 12:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post need specs to fabricate mustang II front control arms

I built a 34 ford pickup with a mustang II front suspension. I want to fabricate the upper & lower control arms from stainless steel tubing.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Cool

That sounds like a real challenge. There are a few custom chassis parts manufacturers who do a fine job of it, for a price of course. It seems to me getting the dimensions from an old set of OEM swap meet gems might just be the best way to go here. The ball joint and bushing receivers will have to be machined to size. The upper control arms are definitely doable. As far as the lower spring seats on the lower A-arms go, all the ones that I've ever seen have been stamped out in a press. Maybe, if you had access to a profile mill or CNC machine you could rough out a couple? Just a thought.

If you come up with a good looking prototype, you might just want to build a jig and spank out a couple dozen of 'em. They're in high demand these days. :p
Old 01-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Shucks man, when I clicked on that little green guy, I didn't know he was gonna be stickin' out his tounge~ Oh well...
Old 01-08-2003, 07:30 PM

Smile

I've seen them at our local hot rod shop, maybe you have one in your area that's willing to let you take measurements. I know it isn't show weather but maybe the rodders at your cruise night might have a set on the shelf waiting for that special project. Good luck
Old 04-01-2003, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

I realize I am a little late on this topic, as it was startes a couple months ago. But I am curious as to whether or not you found the specifications you were looking for. I have measured up a couple sets of arms and am in the process of making some myself. I have the dimensions you need. Or if you have found them we should compare.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:42 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Jhenry, I'd like those specs! My interest isn't in making a set, but seeing if the available MII arms are adaptable to an AMC, which uses a similar setup from 62-83. The AMC/Rambler setup differs in having the spring above the upper arms, but I could use a tubular lower arm setup for a coil over easily. The upper arms would need a spring seat fabricated, but if the upper arm from an MII setup will fit making the spring seat is a lot easier than making the whole arm. I need the distances from frame out (center of pivot to center of ball joint), width of pivot on lower arm, distance between inner ends of the upper arm pivots, and width of those pivots. Everything else is easy to modify (like bolt diameter of pivots), or won't matter if those critical dimensions are to far off the AMC/Rambler dimensions.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.