Need a suggestion on stripping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Need a suggestion on stripping

I'm still working on my '46 Chevy Panel trying to get it ready for painting. I'm working on stripping the front inner fender panels down to bare metal now and its taking a longer and harder time than I want. They have surface rust on them but under it is what looks like a black or dark brown paint of some kind. I've been using the sander and 3M stripper wheels and drill, which I've already burned one up, it works good just takes a long time. I tried some Klean-strip Aircraft stripper on a spot, left it set for an hour+ and didn't hardly get any of it off. Took some Lacquer thinner to it and made it nice, clean and shiney, but didn't take any off. Any ideas?? Anybody??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dude...are YOU ME?
I've been through 2 cheapy drills with 3M pads in my quest to strip my panels. Your best bet really...is to just find a place locally that will sandblast the panels, and have them do it. Alternatively, if you have a compressor, buy a sandblaster and do it yourself.

I can say without a doubt that using any kind of power tools, or even pneumatic tools will take an ungodly amount of time. I've been using a D/A Pneumatic Sander with 80 and 40 grit disks to strip some of my panels...and it takes waaaaay too long, and I go through waaay too many discs.

I think I am going to take my own advice and find a place with a sandblaster.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:58 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I've been working a 29 Willys and old cars do have some tough stuff on them. The Aircraft brand stripper is pretty good stuff and I've found that if it's put on real thick and then covered with plastic it'll stay wet and can be left overnight and you'll get your monies worth out of the stripper.
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showpos...9&postcount=41
Another thing to consider is to block sand with 80 grit and leaving that old paint/whatever there. If it's on that good it'll stay on for another 75 years or so.
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showpos...&postcount=107
Old 09-27-2003, 01:00 AM

Last photo:

Damn pepoz. I used my 3m abrasive grinding wheelz on the die grinder with the 5 hp compressors. My 7 layers of paint came off in a heart beat. ONly let the Paint stripper sit on for like 30 mins cause it starts getting crusty.(at least in las vegas) THe die grinder helps alot though.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:17 PM

Smile

If you scratch the surface of the old finish with some 40 grit sandpaper it allows the stripper to penetrate better. Brush the stripper on heavy in one direction and walk away, let time work for you. When you come back bring along a stiff wire brush and some # 4 steel wool pads. And trust me on this one, cover your eyes and as much skin as you can. Good luck
Old 09-29-2003, 02:36 AM
OddJob

Last photo:

I've tried to remove that undercoating also. I found that if the stuff is stuck on real good and doesn't chip off with a paint scraper then your best bet is to leave it. If it doesn't come off easy then it did its job and protected the metal underneath and the metal is good. Unless you plan on seeing the areas that its on then just leave it and POR-15 right over it and around it.
If you plan on seeing the area then good luck in getting it off. Sand blasting takes forever and you run a good chance of ruining the metal, stripper works only a little at a time and you'll need alot, and the grinding disks just clog right up fast.
Maybe a hot putty knife will scrape it off easier.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 PM

Listen to Richie and the others with simular comments. I just stripped a 51 ford. I started by washing the car,let it dry, with purple power, I then put a 50 grit sanding disc (heavy duty)from the welder shop, not from the hardware or paint store on my sander. It will go to the metal prettty quick. I then took air craft stripper and put it on thick (rub only one way, not back and forth) to get the rest of the paint off. I stripped my door, in about two hours completely from start to finish.

Jimmy in nc
Old 09-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks for all the info guys. A lot of info to work with now. Tomorrow when I get off duty its back to work time hopefully easier.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 PM

My advice for stripping, is to always take off your top first, don't show the downtown till last or you won't get the most tips.

seriously though, I started stripping my malibu a few years back and ran into brown stuff all over that roof. my dad informed me that its fiberglass they used to fix hail damage back in the early eighties. There was no bare metal cept in sparce places.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

a very good idea that i guess not many know about cause i haven't heard it on here before is to take a regular die grinder with a cutting wheel set up on it and take off the cutting wheel. then take some BROWN scotch brite and cut two 4 inch squares out of it. put them together where there are 8 corners and poke a hole in the center. put it back together in the place where the cutting wheel (used) to go. --be sure and turn down the power (rpms) on the die grinder-- if not it will just sling off the scotch brite. hook up the air or plug it in and adjust the rpm.
sound crazy? try it. it will take off anything. FAST!

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« por 15 | rustolem »