need thoughts about new car before i go shopping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2005, 09:21 PM
goth_rod87's Avatar
goth_rod87
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Donalds, South Carolina
Age: 27
Posts: 91
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need thoughts about new car before i go shopping

hi eerone...ie had a really ****ty week las week..got the tags and insurance on my 86 grand am cruised fo a whole day without a whole day..next day i drive to work goin 85 the whole time drives like new...work till 3 and leae to head hoe two hours away in st.petersburg..ge n 19 is driving great hit us 1 stop and go traffic ..again drives fine and i start breakig to stay with traffic it starts stalling..im pissed at it but i figure if thts al thas wrong it might just be the egr valve or something then after that every timne i hold the brakes it stalls get ll the way out of st pete and the temp light flickes then tops so im hinking that it might just be it was hot cause of the stop and go trafic..so i et about a mile down the roadandit lights up and sta on so i look for a parking lot to stop in i see a dog rack and drive thru the gate it jus shuts off and stops moving...turn the key to start it up and it dont do nothing..call my dad and he comes and we push it with hi f150 into spot and get it towed to a garage...wait few days for the guy to go over it and findout the engine is ****ed..blown head gasket,radiator is trashed bad thermostat and the water holding tank i shot and full of holes...the water pump is also screwed..over 400 bucks in work and he wont guarentee that itll fix it from happening again ...regadless i only paid 475 for the pos aand im not paying that much to get it "fixed" so now im lookin a brand new cars and im a hardcore gm loving redneck so im looking a the new cavys andi really like the look of em and i like the features and it gets great milage and is a sweet price.it also has hd awsome reviews by consumers.you think this be a good car for a guy who travels alot and works about two hours awa lot? another thing does any one own one and could ell me some if any of its flaws? thanks ,
Brandon

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Malibucdl's Avatar
Laissez les bons temps rouler
 

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans, La.
Age: 34
Posts: 167
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I had to stop reading. Didn't even make it throught the second line. Can someone PLEASE teach him how to spell, much less type!!!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Ghetto Jet's Avatar
current hot rod: CTS-V
 

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 28
Posts: 1,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goth_rod87
hi eerone...ie had a really ****ty week las week..got the tags and insurance on my 86 grand am cruised fo a whole day without a whole day..next day i drive to work goin 85 the whole time drives like new...work till 3 and leae to head hoe two hours away in st.petersburg..ge n 19 is driving great hit us 1 stop and go traffic ..again drives fine and i start breakig to stay with traffic it starts stalling..im pissed at it but i figure if thts al thas wrong it might just be the egr valve or something then after that every timne i hold the brakes it stalls get ll the way out of st pete and the temp light flickes then tops so im hinking that it might just be it was hot cause of the stop and go trafic..so i et about a mile down the roadandit lights up and sta on so i look for a parking lot to stop in i see a dog rack and drive thru the gate it jus shuts off and stops moving...turn the key to start it up and it dont do nothing..call my dad and he comes and we push it with hi f150 into spot and get it towed to a garage...wait few days for the guy to go over it and findout the engine is ****ed..blown head gasket,radiator is trashed bad thermostat and the water holding tank i shot and full of holes...the water pump is also screwed..over 400 bucks in work and he wont guarentee that itll fix it from happening again ...regadless i only paid 475 for the pos aand im not paying that much to get it "fixed" so now im lookin a brand new cars and im a hardcore gm loving redneck so im looking a the new cavys andi really like the look of em and i like the features and it gets great milage and is a sweet price.it also has hd awsome reviews by consumers.you think this be a good car for a guy who travels alot and works about two hours awa lot? another thing does any one own one and could ell me some if any of its flaws? thanks ,
Brandon

I really cant answer you're question because I only could stand to read the first three sentences of that grammer disaster. Try spell check, it's free.


(Damn you Chris you beat me to it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 08:59 AM
goth_rod87's Avatar
goth_rod87
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Donalds, South Carolina
Age: 27
Posts: 91
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry last night i was joining the holiday celeration what i was asking is the 05 cavalier worth the money for somene needing a good reliable source of ransprtaton to and from long drives to the job site? thanks again,
Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Ghetto Jet's Avatar
current hot rod: CTS-V
 

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 28
Posts: 1,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
haha, ok than man, I know how it is typing under the influence.

Personally I think Cavaliers are good cars, my dad bought one new in 98 and has driven 111,000 trouble free miles. The 05's have a different engine, 2.0 ecotech which seems to be reliable thus far.

How do you feel about Hondas? I think you can get a new Civic for close to the same price as a new Cavalier. The Honda's reliability is unquestionalbe and I think it gets a couple more mpg's which really saves you money in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 11:45 AM
killerformula's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northeast
Age: 34
Posts: 3,485
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
at 18 I think I'd scrape together as much dough as I could, call around in the newspapers and get something that runs.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Kevin45's Avatar
Just one of the guys
 

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Urbana, Ohio
Age: 58
Posts: 3,058
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I thought maybe he was missing a couple of fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Fast Orange's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hightstown,NJ
Age: 58
Posts: 174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe someone should send him a ticket for TUI-typing under the influence-punishable by suspension of typing license for 6 mos-can only correspond using cursive handwriting until completion of safe typing course and payment of fine to posting police.Also 1 year of community service with MADT-Mothers Against Drunk Typing-

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 10:09 PM
GothRod87
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Springhill, Flordia
Age: 27
Posts: 158
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lmao,thats funny as hell man....about the car situation..ive been driving a really ragged out 86 grand am coupe and the engine basicly commited suicide for me.....as for the honda i wont buy a car that aint a gm..mabey its jsut the redneck in me lol but i really like the featurs and the price of the cavalier and id rather buy a new car because ive never really owned a new car and that way its got warrentys and i know its a dependable ride...actually the only thing thats getting modded on it is the sound system and mabey some drop springs....i really like the look to the new one and im just dog tired of used cars leaving me stranded.....the gas milage on those things is sweet and from what i hear its quite peppy for a 4 banger auto...im a commercial a/c and heating installer full time and i work all over the state of flordia....so thats why i really need something new and reliable...input?
Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Gr8 '48 bow tie's Avatar
Be American, Buy American!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas SPURS COUNTRY
Age: 75
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really don't need a car to get to work because with typing the way you do you will not be able to keep a job anyway. Save your money for tuition, get an education, then worry about a car.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Ghetto Jet's Avatar
current hot rod: CTS-V
 

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 28
Posts: 1,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 '48 bow tie
You really don't need a car to get to work because with typing the way you do you will not be able to keep a job anyway. Save your money for tuition, get an education, then worry about a car.

Al
You have a problem with entering a good trade? I work for an electrical contractor, many of the electricians I work with make about $15,000 more a year than the educated people in the office who project manage or organize estimates and handle job bids. The job site I'm working on right now is paying HVAC guys a prevailing wage near or above $40 an hour. I don't know the exact amount, it's posted under our "right to know" information.

gothrod87 a good friend of mine is in the same boat you are, he graduated last year and started as an apprentice doing HVAC full time with a company. He bought a new WRX about 8 months ago and isn't sweating the payments. So I'm guessing you shouldn't have trouble with Cavalier payments. If you want something new and dependable and you're positive you can afford it, I say go for it. When you're working full time and heavily depend on your vehicle don't screw around with stuff that might leave you walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2005, 08:47 PM
GothRod87
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Springhill, Flordia
Age: 27
Posts: 158
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You knwo what GR8 ...im not trying to be disrespectful but you can kiss my ***...i work hard and i live alone in an apartment that i pay for with no help...i may not have some cushy *** desk job but at least im doing just fine..and another thing at least i can be proud of the things i have because i worked hard for them and another thingh where do you get off......you aint got the write to tell me that i cant hold a job cause for one you dont know me....and another IMO im doing damn well for someone my age and unlike you..i dont put down hardworkers for making it in life
...and ghetto jet..thanks man..its good to know im not the only one...take care man,
Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2005, 09:11 PM
oldschoolrods's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Age: 28
Posts: 806
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 '48 bow tie
You really don't need a car to get to work because with typing the way you do you will not be able to keep a job anyway. Save your money for tuition, get an education, then worry about a car.

Al
I agree with jet on this one, this was uncalled for, the dude hit the sauce a little bit and admitted it, no biggie. He's makin good money now and will continue to. College aint for everyone. To the origonal question, I have a 2003 cav that I use for school and I get about 28-30 mpg highway. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Gr8 '48 bow tie's Avatar
Be American, Buy American!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas SPURS COUNTRY
Age: 75
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothrod87
You knwo what GR8 ...im not trying to be disrespectful but you can kiss my ***...i work hard and i live alone in an apartment that i pay for with no help...i may not have some cushy *** desk job but at least im doing just fine..and another thing at least i can be proud of the things i have because i worked hard for them and another thingh where do you get off......you aint got the write to tell me that i cant hold a job cause for one you dont know me....and another IMO im doing damn well for someone my age and unlike you..i dont put down hardworkers for making it in life
...and ghetto jet..thanks man..its good to know im not the only one...take care man,
Brandon
I am not trying to put you down, I'm trying to give you some suggestions to help you. I can appreciate that you have the things that you have by working hard. Go back and read your post then press the spell check and see how you misspelled so many words. It is next to impossible for anyone to read it. I have no idea how old you are so I can not associate what you have with your age. What I did say was that you seem to be putting a lot of effort into buying an automobile and not thinking about an education so that in later years you won't have to work so hard. You can have more time and money to buy and build cars. Its your life to make it whatever you want it to be. Good or bad its in your hands. Good luck to you.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1985 LTD 302 V8 Cheap begginer project car 1stPROJECTcar Engine 5 05-27-2011 03:18 PM
head gasket replacement now car won't start jesse01 Engine 10 04-28-2007 05:53 AM
How much Torque need to lift front end? unstable Engine 22 02-20-2003 09:54 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.