Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need three questions answered please!
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004, 05:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Barry, I am sure you have found what "wax and grease remover" to use and how to be careful with it while sanding basecoats. But honestly, for a newbe, I think he should stick to water. There are a number of different wax and grease removers all the way from mild (mostly straight mineral spirits) up to some pretty agressive solvents that will attack an uncured (or for that matter if the base doesn't use a hardener it never cures, only "drys") base coat. Plus you run into the chance (opening a whole new window of failure) trapping solvents from the wax and grease remover in the base.
Grabbing the wrong wax and grease remover and then applying more base or clear over it before the solvents have completely flashed out could end up biting you in the butt.

Milo, Windex, again, stick to the tech sheets. Windex has dyes, ammonia, these are things you don't want to mix with your paint system. [/B][/QUOTE]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Like I said, NOT for the faint hearted! Oh and your right you do this with ppg440 and it would wash it right off.
Since I learned this can't tell you how many painters have showed it to and gotten out of a jamb in a hurry. and since most
painter have laying around something close to 900 or 330 its not an issue as they are smart enough to know mild from killer.

RE: Windex, That kind of intrigued me so bought some and broke it down today.
Really, there is nothing in there that would hurt paint in any way
and ammonia is one of the best cleaners out there but you want the non-streaking and that what showed up in the windex.
Dyes and deodorizer's (also found in the windex) have no affect on paint as a matter of fact you can blend them in most paints, well you can't but the factory can.