Need tranny advice badly..(getting frustrated) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

Need tranny advice badly..(getting frustrated)

Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember all of the transmission problems I have been having, but I will only bring up the most recent one because that is what I need advice with.

I had a turbo 350 rebuilt for my 454 equipped 71 Nova. Transmission was built extremely well, and I had about 500-600 bucks in the rebuild. Well about 75 miles after the rebuild the torque converter broke and started flaking metal into the transmission. I pulled everything out and my transmission guy checked the transmission again. The metal from the converter ate up the front pump and the transmission drums. He said he can rebuild it back the way it was for about 300-350 dollars.

But here is the second part: he also has a turbo 400 transmission that he just pulled out a working racecar for a guy. The guy took it out in favor of a powerglide. The turbo 400 is built EXTREMELY well, and is even equipped with a transbrake. The bad things about it though, is it is 550 dollars, it is a full time manual transmission where I always have to shift every gear, and it DID come out of a racecar, so even though it was working fine when pulled out, I'm not sure how much longer it will work fine.

TO recap: 1) I can get my turbo 350 rebuilt AGAIN (4th time literally in a year) for 350 dollars. It has all red clutches and all that are perfectly unharmed.

2) I can buy a racing built turbo 400 from him for 550 dollars, that is equipped with a transbrake and all. Negatives are it is a full time manual and used.

ALso, if I do get the turbo 400 will my current driveshaft work, or are the trannies different lengths? Will my crossmember work?

Any info you guys can share is greatly appreciated.

Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 AM

Last journal entry: The floor going in
Last photo:

Hi
I was in a postion not that long ago with getting an autobox i was going to get a trans brake but then when the guy said you had to manual shift it all the time there is no point in having an auto,am i going to use the trans brake alot?well when you are going to the strip or now and then of the lights.so i didnt go down that road.i went for a TCI 700r4 it has overdrive so itis good for cruising .i told them the hp of the motor and they sorted the rest out hopefully it will be ok.I would go to a company who deal in autoboxs and just get a new one job done then you no that it should be ok you can ask them what they would recomend ect they are the people doing it all the time
cheers stuart

www.tciauto.com
Old 08-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the t-350 is shorter than the t-400 if the t-350 has a 6 inch long tail housing.

The output shaft is larger , different drive shaft yoke needed on the t-400.

the cross member will need to be moved back , mayb drill some bolt holes in the sub frame.

Transbrake tranny runs at higher pressures , will wear the pump out sooner on the street if driven much

All transbrakes are full manual shift , most likely it is a reverse shift pattern.,..... different shifter needed

P R N 1 2 3

GM never used the t-350 behind a big block engine from the factory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObs71Nova
Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember all of the transmission problems I have been having, but I will only bring up the most recent one because that is what I need advice with.

I had a turbo 350 rebuilt for my 454 equipped 71 Nova. Transmission was built extremely well, and I had about 500-600 bucks in the rebuild. Well about 75 miles after the rebuild the torque converter broke and started flaking metal into the transmission. I pulled everything out and my transmission guy checked the transmission again. The metal from the converter ate up the front pump and the transmission drums. He said he can rebuild it back the way it was for about 300-350 dollars.

But here is the second part: he also has a turbo 400 transmission that he just pulled out a working racecar for a guy. The guy took it out in favor of a powerglide. The turbo 400 is built EXTREMELY well, and is even equipped with a transbrake. The bad things about it though, is it is 550 dollars, it is a full time manual transmission where I always have to shift every gear, and it DID come out of a racecar, so even though it was working fine when pulled out, I'm not sure how much longer it will work fine.

TO recap: 1) I can get my turbo 350 rebuilt AGAIN (4th time literally in a year) for 350 dollars. It has all red clutches and all that are perfectly unharmed.

2) I can buy a racing built turbo 400 from him for 550 dollars, that is equipped with a transbrake and all. Negatives are it is a full time manual and used.

ALso, if I do get the turbo 400 will my current driveshaft work, or are the trannies different lengths? Will my crossmember work?

Rob
Old 08-27-2005, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Rob
What type of converter are you using? a stock reman is not going to hold up! you need a custom built aftermarket one to handle that kinda torque!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:55 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Rob
The trans guy loves to take that money
this will be 4th time in a year
is telling me something.......
how about u
Old 09-01-2005, 05:14 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

see how much he will give you for the old th350 and us that towards the price of the 400. chances are you are going to be rebiulding both of them, and instead of having to keep on rebuilding the 350 4 more times next year, buy the 400 and rebuild it once, if it even needs it.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Do the right thing...

How long was the turbo 400 used for racing?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Transmission

To be honest I would be skeptical of a PERFORMANCE rebuild that was done for 500 bucks. Sound way to cheap. I would find a new tranny guy. A turbo 350 is great behind a mild to mid range Small block. They are not designed to handle the torque of a big block. They can be built to take it but I have heard it is a 1500-2000 dollar job. As for a transbrake on a street car, you are just asking for problems. High pressures and high heat. They are just not practical for the street. I would save some cash and get a turbo 400 done properly and you will be all set for quite a while
Old 09-02-2005, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

valve body

i would say get the TH400 remove the trans brake, run a high stall TC, and get a hughes valve body from summit they have a manual/auto valve body that will hold any rpm in any gear for manually shifting or run automatically....
Old 09-03-2005, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Hope you're OK. From the news reports & video, it looks like your area was pretty much devastated.

Your driveshaft will probably be a little too long, but it might be OK. The short-tail T-400 is about 3/4" longer than the short-tail T-350, but if the factory tolerance gods were smiling on you, it might work without shortening. The yoke & its U-joint will probably be different (most are bigger with the T-400). Conversion U-joints are available (small on the north & south, bigger on the east & west) if you need to adapt it. I got one at a NAPA store, but the old guy had to find it.

The T-400 crossmemeber is totally different from yours. Since '68-'74 Novas use the same basic subframe as first-gen Camaros, you can go to http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loca...d31+1125748816 and click on "crossmembers" at the bottom of the list on the left, and see the difference. If you're using small-block engine mount frame brackets, your trans mount may end up a bit off-center. The factory big-block brackets position the engine a little farther to the right side, and the T-400 crossmember is also offset to match. The mounting tab can be cut off & rewelded, or you might be able to grind the holes into slots & use big washers on the mount bolts.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:29 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Find a new tranny guy! This guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing or is ripping you off.

If you are blowing 350 trannys. It sounds like he is just building you stock trannys and sending you on your way. You should have quality red friction plates, a quality shift kit, and a quality case hardened sprag race. For 500 to 1000 HP they have a trick sprag assembly for an extra 500 bucks. Then you want a quality torque convertor with all heavy duty parts and anti-balooning plates. You build your tranny this way with a tranny cooler. It will last forever.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.