Need Valve to shut off heater - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM

Last journal entry: new wires for the hot rod 39
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Valve to shut off heater

Dudes!
I bought a Camaro heat/air (inside/outside box) with blower! (Woopie! HEAT! What a concept!) ...I'm in Michigan....kinda cold out there.... I'm cutting up this thing to put into my 39 Pontiac, trying to modernize the heating system which needs it bad...because THERE WAS NONE!
This summer it was hot inside the car, so I figure to shut off the heat next sumer I am going to need a valve or two...turn off the hot water! I want something that I can control from inside the car...my preference would be a valve that operates by 12vdc, and has 1/2" barbs inlet/outlet. Then I just slip my hose over them valves and wire up to switch. BOOM ZOOM I can shut off the heat!

Do you hot rod guys (with heat) know where I can get two such valves?

And Merry Xmas

rwruther

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

KISS????
$7? valve from Ace Hardware,,,,plenty easy enough to turn it on or off just twice a year....

the one I'm using is only 90* for full off/on,,,,could be rigged to a manual choke cable????

another plus from doing it is it will direct more flow thru the rad when ambient air temp is higher in summer....
(which is why I need it in FL)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater bypass.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	34997  
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

u might try a 65 or 66 international scout they have a heart setup like the one you want
Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 PM
It's a dry cold.

Last photo:

Vintage Air sells a few products that would solve your heater problems:

Here's a fancy electronically controlled valve setup - MSRP $ 89.00
This could be setup with a toggle switch instead of the rotary control. The electronic part of this servo valve is not weather resistant, so I don't think these would fare too well in the engine compartment. I only use them inside the car.

And here is a much simpler, manual valve - MSRP $ 18.00 They are also available from any auto parts stores (maybe for less $).

My favorite water valves are "H" shaped and have connections for BOTH heater hoses. When they're in the off position, they actually bypass the heater core and keep the coolant circulating, rather than just shutting off one hose. They are available in manual or vacuum controlled versions and can be purchased from any auto parts store.

You have a lot of options.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Depending on how your heater is ran you don't want to just dead head it against a valve. I like the idea of bypassing the heater. The heater in some systems works outside of the thermostat loop so the heater is always flowing water, this makes your water pump work less when the thermostat is closed because it is able to circulate water.

This one looks good and once installed you wont have to remove it.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/Heater-Acce...2306_10101.jcw
Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

66 Mustangs (etc) have a cable operated valve. You could sneak a choke type cable under the dash (I did) or in the glove box.

Mopars of 60-70s have a manual H type valve that automatically bypasses back when you turn off the water. So do some of the newer Ford cars but they are vacuum powered.

Electric?
If you are lucky you might find a parts store guy with enough knowledge to find the valve you need.

Remember stopping that water flow through the heater in the summer makes the engine run cooler since all the water is getting through the radiator.

1/2 inch is pretty small. Most are 5/8" hose.

Also consider a flow restrictor at the manifold output to prevent blowing up the heater core when you rev the engine with the thermostat closed. The factories put flow restrictors.
If you need to make one, cut off a bolt of enough diameter that fits tightly in the heater hose, cut it off about 1/2 inch long and drill a 5/16 hole in it to reduce the water flow. This also reduces flow in the summer to prevent reduce the amount of bypass in a full flow heater core for summer cooling.

YA, I often wondered why they use 5/8 and 3/4 hose and then restrict it to 5/16. Never will figure that one out.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 12-17-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

If you dont run a thermostat this would probably work without blowing your hose off.
Vacuum
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air...-valve-514.php
Cable
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air...-valve-114.php

Last edited by Jake_Dragon; 12-26-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:57 AM

Most late 60's ford trucks use a cable operated heater valve which works very well. I have a 69 corvette that originally did not have a heater valve, they simply closed door flaps under the dash to re-direct the heated air outside. Really a stupid system to have hot walter through the heater core all the time. Napa sells a manual scerw valve that goes from the water pump to the heater hose. It has a simple valve that you can turn the water off or on very quickly. Works great! I think it was about 8 bucks. Simple is good!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Look at some of the older Ford heater bypass valves.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.