Hot Rod Forum banner

Need very small alternator??

22K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  heyjude076 
#1 ·
HI;What I am looking for is a small alternator with internal regulater and fan!Of course looking for something common that can get reasonable.I have one now I think if my memory is correct it came off my daughters 86 Isuzu PUP.It is really to large also.I imagine most of these new small cars have ones like this just not sure what to look for.Actually it is for my old Indian converting to 12 volts and space is very limited.I think Nipendenso[sp] one that has lot of these small ones.For simpicity need the built in regulater and for safety the built in fan!And somthing that can re wired simply!ANy recomendations??Thanks!

#3 ·
seriousracer said:
power house electrics hasone for about 90 bucks. and have a smaller one for i think 240 the one is small enough to fit your hand,, we use them on a couple of formula cars.
is that company based out of texas, i googled power house electrics and they only reasonable result was a website that was mostly still under-construction. I did however get a phone number, before i call i just want to make sure im calling the right place.

#4 ·
Yes, Nippondeso makes an excellent IR/IF (Internal Regulator / Internal Fan) series.

This particular one is 100 amps, and there are plenty of other pictures that you can browse on Weatherill's site.

Grab the Nippondenso engineering ID#'s (100211-606, 100211-635 for this one) and head for your favorite auto parts store. They should be able to c/ref that number(s) and supply you with a relatively inexpensive rebuilt.

We (as a NAPA jobber store) used to buy direct from WAI, and their prices were pretty good, and their stock and service were excellent.

Edit:
They could likely supply you with all of the correct pigtails as well.
Once you get the ID number of the alternator that looks like it will work for you, enter it in on the "Bill of Materials" link for a complete break-down including the "repair harness". (I love their site)

#5 ·
66 GMC;Thanks for the tip tried the site and they have a lot there.Guess probably have to go to auto store and ask them to find a small one.I couldn't tell from the site what the size was,need that to see what will fit!Have heard that they make ones that work but again no one seemed to know which one!I tried that other site lisyted but as he said is sort of under construction or something but didhave a phone to contact them may try that too.Wouldbe nice if the site you gave had dimensions of them but not important to most applications as they are buying for a specific vehicle!Thanks much to all for the hints!!

#9 ·
Hi;Isn't it a crime what they charge for things just because they say Motorcycle.Theres a fellow in the area that rebuilds altenaters etc have to get over and talk to him sure he will know what cars used smaller ones .Presently have one off a 86 Isuzu I junked on my indian but think there are smallere ones maybe some of the small hondas etc.Just to cheap to pay that kind of price for them.Thanks for the info!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.