Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need wider wheels, maybe mini tubs?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need wider wheels, maybe mini tubs?

I have a 1966 Buick Skylark that I dropped a sbc 350 and turbo 350 trans into. Right now I have 14" Cutlass rims with 225 wide tires. They are nothing special, I mean the white lettering looks cool but I can't get the car to hook up to save my life. Literally If I punch it from 30 mph the car just cuts loose and I wind up smoking tires through first gear, all this with a stock rearend!

I'm considering going with 15" rims so I can upgrade to disk brakes. I'm wondering about how wide a tire/rim I can fit into the back. It doesn't look like much room, so I was considering mini tubs with an offset rim, however I just painted the car and I am concerned about welding near the quarters (paint bubbling...). I have never had tubs put in so I don't know the process, and I would wind up hiring a welder if I did so. I could use some opinions, thoughts, Ideas. I really dont want the tire to potrude from the fender wall, and I also want the car to keep it's stance (basically I don't want a huge rake on the back-end). Thanks for the advice, I hope I posted this in the right section.