Need Wiring Diagram for GM headlight/key buzzer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 06:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

Need Wiring Diagram for GM headlight/key buzzer

Can anyone find me a diagram for the headlight/key buzzer on a GM vehical. I've got everything I need on the painless kit except this, I have some of it figured out, and have pieced together the circut, but unfortunatly GM wiring makes no sense, and it was spliced before so I have nothing to go by.

Oh yeah this is for a 76 chev truck but anything early gm before computers should work.

Advertisement

Last edited by ChevyThunder; 12-27-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

I found nothing for non computer vehicles, Or any prior to like around 84 ...

This one is 87..

The Chime is located above the fuse panel on the right side of the drawing..I would guess you must substitute the "Seatbelt" for Headlight....

What do you have? Can you post the diagram?

Doc
Old 12-27-2005, 11:06 PM

here is what I have off the old diagram

I'm thinking the flasher must be used as a delay so when the bimetallic strip heats up it stays heated up and grounding out, keeping the buzzer off and the buzzer/seat belt light off.

Here is what I would ultimatly like to have in the truck

I want it so that when they key is off and the headlights are on the buzzer goes off. I also want it so that when the vehical is off with the key in ignition and the door is open the buzzer goes off.

ALSO I would like it so that when you start the vehical the fasten belts light goes on, and the buzzer goes on (it is okay if the fasten belts light goes on goes on when the buzzer is going off)

Finally if I can figure it out, using a relay or some diodes I would like if I could get it so that when you start the vehical it turns on the brake, and 4 wheel drive lock lights, as a light test. Am I asking too much outta this old truck?

Also if anyone has experiance with these trucks is the brown/white wire off the ignition plug for when the key is in the off position?

I know I'm getting into alot of pointless stuff, but this truck is my g/fs and I would like to make sure that she knows that her brake light and other lights function like or better than factory. If it was my vehical I'd just wire up a custom dash and call it good.

The two images are diagrams I made. The first is the stock buzzer circut of what I have. I have no clue where the black/white wire off the green buzzer goes to.

The second is a diagram of what I plan to do using the old horn relay to run a bulb test on startup. (let me know if you think it will work)

I know I'm going overkill, but I want everything to work like factory and do so nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Old harness.bmp (274.1 KB, 316 views)
File Type: bmp Bulb test on start.bmp (153.0 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by ChevyThunder; 12-28-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Not enough info there to make heads or tails out of what those items do...or will attempt to do..need like a painless or chiltons diagrams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder
here is what I have off the old diagram

I'm thinking the flasher must be used as a delay so when the bimetallic strip heats up it stays heated up and grounding out, keeping the buzzer off and the buzzer/seat belt light off.
Were that the case..the flasher lamps would only work after the buzzer cycled ..Again, without terminal markings it's hard to tell..I should think the only thing you would use for the belt chime from the TS, would be common DC power..

Quote:
Here is what I would ultimately like to have in the truck

I want it so that when they key is off and the headlights are on the buzzer goes off. I also want it so that when the vehicle is off with the key in ignition and the door is open the buzzer goes off.
First, does your Column have a "Key Detect " switch in it now? If not options are get a column/switch that does..or take a pass on it...

Set up a SPST relay as follows..

coil activated by power from the Key switched power,

Normally closed side to a parallel tap from headlight power output,

center wiper to Chime...

If the heads are on but the key is off, power will not activate the relay..the chime Will run from headlight power coming from the NC side...If the key goes on..the relay fires, opens the contacts and shuts off the chime.

Quote:
ALSO I would like it so that when you start the vehicle the fasten belts light goes on, and the buzzer goes on (it is okay if the fasten belts light goes on goes on when the buzzer is going off)
Get an ON DELAY DPST time delay relay, hook the control circuit ( coil) up to the seat belt switch power..(Belt buckle, should be NC when not buckled)

The first set of contacts will be: The center wiper to switched fused 12 volts,

the chime and belt lamp to go on the normally open contact..

Run a second control wire ( coil )through the second set of contacts,

CW to be from coil power,

the NO to Fused switched power..

the center wiper to the chime and lamp terminal..

In this config, when the key is first turned on..but the belts are not on...it will chime and hold the lamp until you do so..If the belts are on...when you first hit power..it will chime and light for X amount of time and go off...

Quote:
Finally if I can figure it out, using a relay or some diodes I would like if I could get it so that when you start the vehical it turns on the brake, and 4 wheel drive lock lights, as a light test. Am I asking too much outta this old truck?
You just want the dash lights to Self test?

Pull power from the WD switch centerwiper, and run that to a TDR control circuit,

Run the brake lamp and 4WD lamp to the center wiper.

the normally open side will be switched fused 12 volts..

When you turn on the key, the timer will fire the relay, light the lamps, and time out, shutting them off..remember not to disturb the current wires..parallel the TDR in so it will work normally also..
Quote:
Also if anyone has experiance with these trucks is the brown/white wire off the ignition plug for when the key is in the off position?
This wire on GM's usually is the idiot lamp for the charging system..

DRAW THIS (THESE ) OUT...ON PAPER FIRST..I DID THIS IN MY HEAD..IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT HERE, WITHOUT BENEFIT OF PEN AND PAPER, AND MAY HAVE GOT MY NC'S AND NO'S CONFUSED...SO DOUBLE CHECK MY LOGIC HERE! I DID THIS SO YOU COULD SEE THE CONCEPT....(and now I have a headache... )

Doc
Old 12-28-2005, 04:45 AM

Thanks alot doc, your information is very useful. I'm sure with this and having a look at my buddy's truck like this I can figure out what I need to do here. If I have anymore questions I'll ask.

I'm sorry I couldn't get you a diagram of the setup I drew my own simply because I cannot find one for ANYTHING. This stupid chime and flasher were in the truck, but I can't find any diagram on what they did. Its always the stupid things that nobody includes.
If you think your head hurts you should see how mine is lol

OK doc below is a diagram for the headlight buzzer relay does it look ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight buzzer relay.JPG
Views:	1231
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	8669  

Last edited by ChevyThunder; 12-28-2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder
Thanks alot doc, your information is very useful. I'm sure with this and having a look at my buddy's truck like this I can figure out what I need to do here. If I have anymore questions I'll ask.

I'm sorry I couldn't get you a diagram of the setup I drew my own simply because I cannot find one for ANYTHING. This stupid chime and flasher were in the truck, but I can't find any diagram on what they did. Its always the stupid things that nobody includes.
If you think your head hurts you should see how mine is lol

OK doc below is a diagram for the headlight buzzer relay does it look ok?

Doc here,

Yup

Doc
Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Its here somewhere

At top right corner

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.