need wiring help on 74 nova - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

need wiring help on 74 nova

car started 1 hr. ago but then i rewired the dist. and changed cap, roter, points, condenser and now it wont start. i got juice at the batt., alt., both sides of coil(when key is on) and i got spark at coil an no.1 plug but still no vroom-vroom. ne1 help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

you said you rewire the dist.? did you do the plug wires one at a time or yank them all off at once? i'd check to make sure you've got them on the right firing order.

JB
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Need more info..What car, year/ model, Size engine, type of ignition.

Doc
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM

plug wires r right.

its a 1974 chevy nova with a 4 bolt main 327 out of a 68 corvette. all the plug wires r right, juice in battery, gas in tank, spark at coil,plug wire, and plus, replaced old condenser and points thinking i had defective new ones. engine cranks but wont start.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Check the points, Should be 15 to 17 thousands, They may be too wide to support combustion.

The Fire order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 ...Double check this..5&7 can be back wards because they are the only two that are next to each other on both ends of the wires..This usually causes backfire and poor performance.

What color is the spark? Cold blue (good) or Anemic white/yellow (bad)

I assume you did not disturb the distributor (pull it out..) correct?

To include or exclude the ignition system, spray some starting fluid down the carb..(or dump some gas in) and try to start it...If it won't start it's Ignition. If it does start It's fuel delivery ..

If it doesn't start check the coil..get a DVOM, and set it foe R X 1 (calibrated to 000) and measure the primary side..It should read less than an ohm, but more than 000..outside of those ranges, toss it and get a new one.

Next set your meter for R X 10K and measure the secondary, it should read between 10,000 and 11,000 ohms. Out of this range toss the coil..

Check your Rotor button..(Don't shoot me..I've done it..) Make sure it's in there! Then use your meter on each end of the tang..it should read 000, then move the tang up and down, It should not change readings..you can just try your old rotor back in there too..

Be sure the pigtail on the points are not grounding out..and that the ground pigtail is in place.

Be sure your secondary Ignition is in place, this provides power to the coil while cranking..(when the key shuts off the rest of the car.) to quick test, just run a jumper from the battery to the + side of the coil..and try it..If it runs you need to repair or install an secondary ignition wire. You will have to pull this jumper off to stop the engine.

Make sure your Ballast resistor is in place and working. With the points closed, or jumpered shut, measure the + side of the coil , It should read between 6 and 9 volts if it is working. If it's 12 volts it's not working, and may have burned up the coil..points will burn out rapidly also.

That should find the problem.

Doc
Old 03-03-2006, 06:56 PM

me again

everything you said to check i checked and it was right on, except yes i did pull the dist. so i could replace the wire that goes to the coil. i did get it back in right but then i thought maybe i put it in 180 out so i changed it but that was actually wrong so i put it back and i still have no vroom-vroom. about ready to put my shotgun to it !!!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Pull number 1 plug, Bring it up on compression, TDC, with the timing marks lined up and both intake and exhaust valves DEAD closed..Pull your cap, and verify #1 Plug tower (should be between 5 and 7 O'clock position) Is dead on #1 plug tower..

If this and all the other steps are correct, and NOTHING was overlooked, you have an Induction problem, not an Ignition problem.

There is nothing left electrically to check, with the exception of the condenser, you can pull it off the points, and try it, It will run briefly without it. If it's shorted, can kill spark.

Be sure your plugs aren't so wet they can't fire..and make sure the Dizzy is actually turning.

Doc
Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 AM

did all that

did all that but i still cant get it to start so i just dont know. i guess i have to just take it to a shop and pay a fortune to fix it. OR sell it !!! want to buy it?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:53 AM

hey doc

maybe you could just call me at 541 513 6017 then we could just talk about it ok?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Pull the plugs, Do a compression test..

Jack the throttle wide open, and crank at least 3 times on Compression stroke before you take the reading. If it reads lower than 125 on all cylinders you have some mechanical problems. (Valves/Rings)

If it reads REAL low all the way around, Like 75 to 90 , your timing chain has jumped. You will need to reverify that the #1 TDC, Compression stroke, Both intake and Exhaust valves are closed, and the timing marks line up. If you can't coordinate those, For sure the timing chain has jumped.

Your compression , Normally , Should be between 125 and 150 +/- 10% all the way around.

Try advancing the Distributer all the way counter clockwise, and see if the car wants to try to start, or if it kicks back against the starter, If it does it's about a tooth off on the distributer setting.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.