Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Putting new lifters on a used cam is a very iffy proposition. I'd rather you work on the lifter that's bleeding down- it might just need cleaning. More here.

There may be a lobe going bad on the cam. If that's the case, replace it NOW before it fills the engine w/ground up metal.
Yep lol I know. I'm gonna take the bad lifter apart and see whats going on before I put the new set in, should have said that in my post, sorry. If I do have to put the new lifters in I'm going to do the cam break-in again and keep my fingers crossed. When I first heard the ticking that's what I thought had happened, a lobe going bad. When I let the motor cool down I pulled the cover off to see if one of my locks had come loose on a rocker but it hadn't. I pulled the plugs and got that cylinder, #4, on TDC and readjusted the rocker. I looked at the plugs to see how my carb tune was, put the plugs back in and gettin ready to put the cover back on and just felt of the rocker arm, well all of them on that side, and it was very loose again. I took the rocker completely off to inspect, everything looked good, put it back on and readjusted. Went inside to eat supper, came back out to put the cover back on, felt of the rocker again and it was loose again, by loose I mean sloppy loose. So that's how I determined it was a lifter bleeding down.