Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
I knew I would get some great opinions but never thought they would come this fast. Thank ya'll so much. I was kinda worried about detonation when I first put the heads on but I took a chance and am running my timing a little lower than I normally do and also raised my octane level to 102. I think I'm gonna pull the heads and go with the Patriots, which are the 64cc. 185cc., and run a set of "462" on my 400. If I found a pair of good Vortec heads, would I have to drill the steam holes in them to run em on my 400?
For a street engine, I would drill steam holes, but there is evidence it might not be needed.

I agree w/the others on the Patriots- use them as long as the intake runner volume isn't too large for the 355. Should be worth a good bit of power, especially lower in the rev range if the fuelies are fully ported.

Also the aluminum heads will give you a bit of a cushion against detonation since they shed heat better than iron heads plus they are probably not milled down like the fuelie heads now on it. They should let you run pump premimum w/o needing to take any total timing away. At least, try it that way because removing max power timing is the most ineffecient way of dealing w/detonation.

In case you're interested, there's a page on quench you might get some ideas from.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (11-02-2012)