Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
For a street engine, I would drill steam holes, but there is evidence it might not be needed.

I agree w/the others on the Patriots- use them as long as the intake runner volume isn't too large for the 355. Should be worth a good bit of power, especially lower in the rev range if the fuelies are fully ported.

Also the aluminum heads will give you a bit of a cushion against detonation since they shed heat better than iron heads plus they are probably not milled down like the fuelie heads now on it. They should let you run pump premimum w/o needing to take any total timing away. At least, try it that way because removing max power timing is the most ineffecient way of dealing w/detonation.

In case you're interested, there's a page on quench you might get some ideas from.
Well, I think ya'll have made my decision for me, lol. The humps are coming off. I know what ya mean about taking the timing away and I don't really like it either but just trying to be safe. Man, this forum is awesome. I have messed with cars since I was just a young teenager, my father raced dirt track and taught me alot, and been a mechanic my whole working career but I have learned so much from this forum.