Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Wow- 4 bad lifters. Just a word of caution: You do realize the chances are very, very good that at least a few of the cam lobes are worn abnormally. I would feel a LOT better if you'd bite the bullet now and put a new cam and lifters in it before the lobes go really bad and you get ground up cam and lifters circulated all through the engine- which can take the bearings and journals out, too. Meaning new bearings, a turned crank and a complete tear down to clean the trash out of the engine.
Well, now you got me nervous, lol. I'm pulling it back down and replacing the cam. What I mean by the 4 bad lifters is they wouldn't open the valves all the way, like they weren't getting oil and pumping up or something but they were getting oil and lots of it. I took 2 of em apart just to verify. I checked all the cam lobes with my dial indicator and they are all checking good, turned the motor over 2 revolutions. Shined a light through the lifter bores and all the lobes look like they broke in great. I just took it as a bad batch of lifters. I'm ordering a new cam this morning. I've thought, well, what would dad have done and it came to me, heck, he would have pulled the whole motor down "just to be on the safe side" as he would say, lol. I really need the space in my garage pretty quick but I also really really need the little money in my wallet not to mention wasting my parts.