Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
When your dealing with 4 bad lifters,you want to treat the cause and not the effect,the four bad lifters.Deductive logic says there is a reason behind why four lifters when bad.Question if you have a blocked oil gallery.But to find the root cause is going to prevent it happening again with the new set of lifters.Those lifters once preloaded have to turn in their bores while the engine is being turned over and you can check that with the intake off.Also the lobes and just the way they look really doesn't mean much.What they measure as will tell apart of the story.
Thank you for your input. I marked a small line from the block to lifter on all the lifters with a white welders pencil and made sure all of them were turning before I checked with my dial indicator. Everything is oiling great as far as I can tell but I only took 3 of the lifters apart. The motor ran great it just developed a lifter tick from the #4 exh. I adjusted it twice and one time for my buddy, to show him what was going on, and it would adjust but after letting it sit for about 10min. you could go back and check it by hand and the rocker would be sloppy loose again. I mean just sittin there, not starting the motor. I ordered a new cam of the exact specs just a little bit ago and it should be here Tuesday so I will let you know what happens in about a week as I'm disabled and have to do everything very slow, lol. I built this motor myself and after checking everything I opted to not have any machine work done. I honed the cylinders, washed and blew out all the passages, cleaned the ring grooves etc..., lapped the valves and installed positive lock seals, correct springs etc... broke the cam in by the instructions from Isky etc etc etc... I used Clevite bearings and Hastings rings, Melling HV55 pump, Pete Jackson gear drive, had to machine the back pin on the drive gear where it touches the block but you know what I'm saying. In my opinion I built the motor just like I was taught years ago and to the best of my ability. When I changed the oil after breaking in the cam after cool down I ran a magnet through the oil and by the magnet and by eye the oil looked great, felt great etc... Nothing abnormal I should say, lol. Once again, Thank you for your input.