Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Well, now you got me nervous, lol. I'm pulling it back down and replacing the cam. What I mean by the 4 bad lifters is they wouldn't open the valves all the way, like they weren't getting oil and pumping up or something but they were getting oil and lots of it. I took 2 of em apart just to verify. I checked all the cam lobes with my dial indicator and they are all checking good, turned the motor over 2 revolutions. Shined a light through the lifter bores and all the lobes look like they broke in great. I just took it as a bad batch of lifters. I'm ordering a new cam this morning. I've thought, well, what would dad have done and it came to me, heck, he would have pulled the whole motor down "just to be on the safe side" as he would say, lol. I really need the space in my garage pretty quick but I also really really need the little money in my wallet not to mention wasting my parts.
There's a reason your Father had the opinions he did on these things- and you are wise to follow his lead on such matters. I cannot help but think you've chosen the best and safest path. When the cost associated w/changing the cam and lifters now is compared to the possible costs involved w/chancing it, the choice becomes even more clear IMHO.

Some good info on breaking in a flat tappet cam along w/other tips, etc, can be read here.

Additional info you might find useful:

Adjusting hydraulic lifters

Valve train points to check

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (11-04-2012)