Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
There's a reason your Father had the opinions he did on these things- and you are wise to follow his lead on such matters. I cannot help but think you've chosen the best and safest path. When the cost associated w/changing the cam and lifters now is compared to the possible costs involved w/chancing it, the choice becomes even more clear IMHO.

Some good info on breaking in a flat tappet cam along w/other tips, etc, can be read here.

Additional info you might find useful:

Adjusting hydraulic lifters

Valve train points to check

Good luck.
WOW! Thanks alot for the links and the advice. You are exactly right on the costs involved and I am finding the reasons Dad did alot of things the older I get. I think one of my buddy's is gonna do a motor job for me as it's gonna take me a little bit before I will have my garage freed up. I did find out something today that I still can't believe, lol. I have a 1969 DZ302! A few months ago I bought a square body S10 off a young feller just for the motor and trans. He had wrecked it pretty bad, wiped the whole right side out and bent the frame a little, and was gonna crush it. It has a " '69 model 350 in it with double humps" he said. Well, after looking at it and hearing it run, I bought it. I have quite a collection of older Chevy parts and try to save everything I can from the crusher that is GM plus I wanted the drivetrain and motor for another project I have lined up. Long story short I got the truck where I felt it was safe to take a short drive, after I got it home, and got in it a little and thought, man, this thing does have the power for a stock 350 that had who knows how many miles on it as it has never been apart from what I can tell. So today I jacked her up and got under and looked and sure enough, it has a completely round end on the crank. You know what that means, steel crank! So I finally got myself up from underneath, grabbed a rag, brass brisltled carb cleaning brush and some purple power and cleaned the pad off on the front right side of the block. Guess what, last 2 digits are DZ!! I can't believe it. I have never actually seen one in person much less owned one. Tomorrow before I start on the Impala I'm draining the old anti-freeze out and puttin new in for winter. I'm not taking any chances, I never do with anything anyway when it comes to a motor freezing, but it makes me feel good to know that it will feel better with fresh coolant, oil and a Wix filter, lol. I feel like a big ole kid right now.