Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:21 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
WOW! Thanks alot for the links and the advice. You are exactly right on the costs involved and I am finding the reasons Dad did alot of things the older I get. I think one of my buddy's is gonna do a motor job for me as it's gonna take me a little bit before I will have my garage freed up. I did find out something today that I still can't believe, lol. I have a 1969 DZ302! A few months ago I bought a square body S10 off a young feller just for the motor and trans. He had wrecked it pretty bad, wiped the whole right side out and bent the frame a little, and was gonna crush it. It has a " '69 model 350 in it with double humps" he said. Well, after looking at it and hearing it run, I bought it. I have quite a collection of older Chevy parts and try to save everything I can from the crusher that is GM plus I wanted the drivetrain and motor for another project I have lined up. Long story short I got the truck where I felt it was safe to take a short drive, after I got it home, and got in it a little and thought, man, this thing does have the power for a stock 350 that had who knows how many miles on it as it has never been apart from what I can tell. So today I jacked her up and got under and looked and sure enough, it has a completely round end on the crank. You know what that means, steel crank! So I finally got myself up from underneath, grabbed a rag, brass brisltled carb cleaning brush and some purple power and cleaned the pad off on the front right side of the block. Guess what, last 2 digits are DZ!! I can't believe it. I have never actually seen one in person much less owned one. Tomorrow before I start on the Impala I'm draining the old anti-freeze out and puttin new in for winter. I'm not taking any chances, I never do with anything anyway when it comes to a motor freezing, but it makes me feel good to know that it will feel better with fresh coolant, oil and a Wix filter, lol. I feel like a big ole kid right now.
I agree w/Vinnie- if that block isn't a restamp and has the original suffix code, etc. on the pad (which would indicate the decks haven't been cut much, if at all), and if it has a standard bore, you have got yourself a heck of a find!!! Even if it's been bored, killer deal!

Because the guy you bought it from made no big deal out of it being a DZ block, likely no one made a big deal to him about it when he bought it- so either it's gonna be a legit block or a really obvious restamp.

Factory suffix codes have the digits/letters evenly spaced and look uniform because of being 'gang stamped' instead of each digit being individually stamped, and none are higher or lower than the digit next to it. A really obvious restamp, complete w/punch marks all over the area AND two different styles of the number "1", is at the bottom of this post. Also the partial VIN code line of digits that usually accompanies the suffix line is the same way- but the two lines are almost never even to each other because they are stamped at different times/places.

I'm sure you'll be researching this to the n'th degree, I hope that it's legit and that you got an early Christmas present!!