Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I agree w/Vinnie- if that block isn't a restamp and has the original suffix code, etc. on the pad (which would indicate the decks haven't been cut much, if at all), and if it has a standard bore, you have got yourself a heck of a find!!! Even if it's been bored, killer deal!

Because the guy you bought it from made no big deal out of it being a DZ block, likely no one made a big deal to him about it when he bought it- so either it's gonna be a legit block or a really obvious restamp.

Factory suffix codes have the digits/letters evenly spaced and look uniform because of being 'gang stamped' instead of each digit being individually stamped, and none are higher or lower than the digit next to it. A really obvious restamp, complete w/punch marks all over the area AND two different styles of the number "1", is at the bottom of this post. Also the partial VIN code line of digits that usually accompanies the suffix line is the same way- but the two lines are almost never even to each other because they are stamped at different times/places.

I'm sure you'll be researching this to the n'th degree, I hope that it's legit and that you got an early Christmas present!!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm gonna pull the motor and trans just as soon as I get my Impala back together, I'm shooting for next week lol. I will be able to get a better look at the stamping that way. I had never thought about someone restamping a block. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will post a picture of the stamping when I get it out and cleaned up better. Some people amaze me at how they can come up with a way to get over on people. I spent about all day on my Impala yesterday. Got almost down to pulling the cam when my body stopped going. I'm going to try to get the cam out and everything cleaned today but I just have to see how my body does. The new cam is suppose to be here today. See, I'm disabled, I had a 5000lb. forklift fall on me June 13 2007, I was a mechanic for a forklift repair company, and I'm only able to do so much BUT, I am so very thankful the good Lord let's me do what I am able to do. I take one day at a time and try and make the best out of my situation as I could be in a heck of alot worse shape, plus, I love wrenchin, lol.

Last edited by Camaro_Nut2001; 11-06-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Spelling