Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Well, it's been a few days but I got the Impala back together, new cam broke in etc... I didn't go back with the Tunnel Ram, due to the Impala having to be outside while I pull the motor in the S10, I went with an old intake and carb I had put back, a Stealth and 670 Street Avenger. I figured the motor would really have some bottem end but I swear, I think it ran better with the Tunnel Ram and two 1850's. I do think the motor is running on the lean side with the 670. I have the timing turned down just a tad and the 670 adjusted rich as I can untill I get a 4779 built for it. I have the kit but I want to get this motor out first, lol. Also, I bought a pair of Magnaflow's #10416 as I read they flow alot better than Flowmaster, which is what's on the Impala now, but haven't had time to have exhaust put on yet. I do have the S10 in the garage and plan on starting on it today.
On a side note, I saw a post where Tech Inspector was talking about going an 1/8th of a turn after zero lash on valve adjustment but the OP was talking about his hyd. roller lifters. I wonder if Tech was meaning an 1/8th turn on all hyd. lifters or just rollers. I may post back on that posting and ask, unless he see's this, lol. Anyway, I will post pictures of the motor when I get it out and cleaned up.
For someone who was injured a while back, you sure get a lot done. Makes me kind of embarrassed! lol

Not speaking for TI but you can use 1/8 turn on flat tappet hydraulic lifters.

A page he wrote is here. Not sure how it happened but there's another one here. Chances are the second article was added w/o knowledge there was one already started.

Adjusting the valves w/the engine running is also a very good, foolproof way to do it, but they have to be adjusted at least close enough that the engine will run w/o popping through the carb or backfiring, etc.

Adjusting valves w/the engine running leaves no doubt when there is clearance and when zero lash is reached- the sounds are unmistakeable. Only thing about doing it w/the engine running is it can be messy. To help w/the oil spraying/splashing around, an old valve cover can be modified by cutting the top out of it (see below, photo from member Double_v23). This keeps most of the oil where it belongs. There are also small clips sold to clip onto stamped steel (stock type) rockers that deflect the oil, but those alone can still let oil splash around some. Using both should stop 90% of it, though.