Need ya'lls opinions on SBC heads - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Camaro_Nut2001's Avatar
Drag Racing Lover
 

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mascot, TN.
Age: 46
Posts: 143
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, it's been a few days but I got the Impala back together, new cam broke in etc... I didn't go back with the Tunnel Ram, due to the Impala having to be outside while I pull the motor in the S10, I went with an old intake and carb I had put back, a Stealth and 670 Street Avenger. I figured the motor would really have some bottem end but I swear, I think it ran better with the Tunnel Ram and two 1850's. I do think the motor is running on the lean side with the 670. I have the timing turned down just a tad and the 670 adjusted rich as I can untill I get a 4779 built for it. I have the kit but I want to get this motor out first, lol. Also, I bought a pair of Magnaflow's #10416 as I read they flow alot better than Flowmaster, which is what's on the Impala now, but haven't had time to have exhaust put on yet. I do have the S10 in the garage and plan on starting on it today.
On a side note, I saw a post where Tech Inspector was talking about going an 1/8th of a turn after zero lash on valve adjustment but the OP was talking about his hyd. roller lifters. I wonder if Tech was meaning an 1/8th turn on all hyd. lifters or just rollers. I may post back on that posting and ask, unless he see's this, lol. Anyway, I will post pictures of the motor when I get it out and cleaned up.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Well, it's been a few days but I got the Impala back together, new cam broke in etc... I didn't go back with the Tunnel Ram, due to the Impala having to be outside while I pull the motor in the S10, I went with an old intake and carb I had put back, a Stealth and 670 Street Avenger. I figured the motor would really have some bottem end but I swear, I think it ran better with the Tunnel Ram and two 1850's. I do think the motor is running on the lean side with the 670. I have the timing turned down just a tad and the 670 adjusted rich as I can untill I get a 4779 built for it. I have the kit but I want to get this motor out first, lol. Also, I bought a pair of Magnaflow's #10416 as I read they flow alot better than Flowmaster, which is what's on the Impala now, but haven't had time to have exhaust put on yet. I do have the S10 in the garage and plan on starting on it today.
On a side note, I saw a post where Tech Inspector was talking about going an 1/8th of a turn after zero lash on valve adjustment but the OP was talking about his hyd. roller lifters. I wonder if Tech was meaning an 1/8th turn on all hyd. lifters or just rollers. I may post back on that posting and ask, unless he see's this, lol. Anyway, I will post pictures of the motor when I get it out and cleaned up.
For someone who was injured a while back, you sure get a lot done. Makes me kind of embarrassed! lol

Not speaking for TI but you can use 1/8 turn on flat tappet hydraulic lifters.

A page he wrote is here. Not sure how it happened but there's another one here. Chances are the second article was added w/o knowledge there was one already started.

Adjusting the valves w/the engine running is also a very good, foolproof way to do it, but they have to be adjusted at least close enough that the engine will run w/o popping through the carb or backfiring, etc.

Adjusting valves w/the engine running leaves no doubt when there is clearance and when zero lash is reached- the sounds are unmistakeable. Only thing about doing it w/the engine running is it can be messy. To help w/the oil spraying/splashing around, an old valve cover can be modified by cutting the top out of it (see below, photo from member Double_v23). This keeps most of the oil where it belongs. There are also small clips sold to clip onto stamped steel (stock type) rockers that deflect the oil, but those alone can still let oil splash around some. Using both should stop 90% of it, though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Camaro_Nut2001's Avatar
Drag Racing Lover
 

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mascot, TN.
Age: 46
Posts: 143
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
For someone who was injured a while back, you sure get a lot done. Makes me kind of embarrassed! lol

Not speaking for TI but you can use 1/8 turn on flat tappet hydraulic lifters.

A page he wrote is here. Not sure how it happened but there's another one here. Chances are the second article was added w/o knowledge there was one already started.

Adjusting the valves w/the engine running is also a very good, foolproof way to do it, but they have to be adjusted at least close enough that the engine will run w/o popping through the carb or backfiring, etc.

Adjusting valves w/the engine running leaves no doubt when there is clearance and when zero lash is reached- the sounds are unmistakeable. Only thing about doing it w/the engine running is it can be messy. To help w/the oil spraying/splashing around, an old valve cover can be modified by cutting the top out of it (see below, photo from member Double_v23). This keeps most of the oil where it belongs. There are also small clips sold to clip onto stamped steel (stock type) rockers that deflect the oil, but those alone can still let oil splash around some. Using both should stop 90% of it, though.

Lol, I try my very best to do everything I can. I have old computer chairs in the garage so I can roll around. I had my garage built to accomodate me with my condition, not to mention I use a cane where ever I go unless it's the rod runs, car shows etc.... then I use my scooter. My passion has always been older Chevy's and as long as I can possibly figure a way, I will be doing all I can with them. For instance, I use my cherry picker to not only pull motors but, change heads, BBC cast intakes and some SBC cast ones, radiators etc... Enough about me, lol, but thank you. What is the benefit of going an 1/8th of a turn opposed to say 1/4 or a 1/2? My Dad used to go no more than a half a turn, he said the less you can get by with and still open the valves with little to no noise the better as your motor is alot free'er, revs faster which in turn, get's you down the track quicker. He actually show'ed me when I was probably 12- 13yrs. old. He let me adjust the valves the way the manual called for and my Auto Mechanics teacher in school was teaching us, let me rev it and drive it, then he adjusted them with me watching and sure enough, the motor seemed happier and reved alot quicker. I go by feel to zero lash and depending on the motor, fresh or high miles, go 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Thanks for the link to Tech's write up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Using 1/8 turn gives less clearance for the lifters to pump up. In most cases where the engine is equipped w/the right springs and the engine isn't over revved, there's no advantage over using 1/2 turn- which is what I (and your Dad) recommend you use.

The possible problem w/using a small preload or zero lashing the lifters is that it gives the chance for the lifter inner plunger to contact the retainer. Most lifters use round wire retainer clips (center and right, below); these can be driven out of their grooves allowing the lifter to come apart under severe conditions, like when the lifter pumps up. Lifters designed to be zero lashed and solid lifters will use an internal C-clip type retainer (below left).

From here:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (11-14-2012)
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 767
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 311
Thanked 239 Times in 209 Posts
camaronut if you run the 400 block be sure to lay a 400 gasket on the head you decide to run an drill the steam hole 3/16 in replacement head 2 per side this will keep it from overheating i ran these blocks for years on dirt track late model modified with good results i would buy 2 bolt blocks drill for 4 bolt sprayed caps 2 bolt blocks worked good for us factorf 4 bolt 400 castihg 509 and 511 seemed to crack in main webs if tou can find a 4wd blazer block without center freeze plugs that is the best block we have foubd hopes this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (11-14-2012)
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Camaro_Nut2001's Avatar
Drag Racing Lover
 

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mascot, TN.
Age: 46
Posts: 143
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I have to say, I don't think I will ever go back to Flowmaster mufflers, lol. I took my Impala to my buddy and had new pipes and the Magnaflows put on yesterday and I am completely amazed at how the motor reacts. It is sooo much happier. He went with 2.0" pipe off the original manifolds, I chose to stick with the ram horns for the look, into 2.5" to the mufflers, which are right past the transmission crossmember, then came off the mufflers with 3" pipe turned and exists in front of the rear tires but even with the bottom body lip. Not only does the exhaust look good, it is still pretty quiet inside the car, at idle and slow acceleration, lol. When I was leaving his shop I kinda got in it a little and when the stall flashed it got a little squirlley. With a 3.42 gear! I'm going to put a 3.73 or maybe a 3.90 gear in when I get these S10's finished. The Magnaflows are a little loud when I throw the gas to her, but hey, it's Hot Roddin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Camaro_Nut2001's Avatar
Drag Racing Lover
 

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mascot, TN.
Age: 46
Posts: 143
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got the motor and trans out tonight and I've got to make an appointment with the eye doctor ASAP. The casting number is "3956618" and the number stamped on the front pad is "V0331HN" which is showing up as a 1969 350 300HP passenger car. Also, it doesn't have a steel crank like I originally thought when looking at the end of the crank while under the S10. Even though it's not a 302, it's found it's home till I leave this world. The heads are "186". I also thought it looked like it had never been opened up but after gettin it out so I could really look at it I think with 98% certainty that it has been opened up. I didn't pull the pan, just one valve cover as my body was really going down on me fast. I'm taking tomorrow to myself and spend the day riding in my Impala so hopefully Monday I can get back at it. I wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 AM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Well, I have to say, I don't think I will ever go back to Flowmaster mufflers, lol. I took my Impala to my buddy and had new pipes and the Magnaflows put on yesterday and I am completely amazed at how the motor reacts. It is sooo much happier. He went with 2.0" pipe off the original manifolds, I chose to stick with the ram horns for the look, into 2.5" to the mufflers, which are right past the transmission crossmember, then came off the mufflers with 3" pipe turned and exists in front of the rear tires but even with the bottom body lip. Not only does the exhaust look good, it is still pretty quiet inside the car, at idle and slow acceleration, lol. When I was leaving his shop I kinda got in it a little and when the stall flashed it got a little squirlley. With a 3.42 gear! I'm going to put a 3.73 or maybe a 3.90 gear in when I get these S10's finished. The Magnaflows are a little loud when I throw the gas to her, but hey, it's Hot Roddin!
The 2 " pipes might of had a lot to do with the pickup in tq. Some flowmaster systems are made for racing and flow dam clsoe to open headers. But in the real world with mild build 2" pipes will usally give a nice low end punch. The short runs you have are probably the best of both worlds. The flowmaster system i had was great but was built for a big motor and drag race application. For a street 350 it might have been a little too big. And it was 2 1/2 duals to the rear bumper. With 40 series mufflers. Also very loud but that was what i asked for when i was buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (11-18-2012)
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Got the motor and trans out tonight and I've got to make an appointment with the eye doctor ASAP. The casting number is "3956618" and the number stamped on the front pad is "V0331HN" which is showing up as a 1969 350 300HP passenger car. Also, it doesn't have a steel crank like I originally thought when looking at the end of the crank while under the S10. Even though it's not a 302, it's found it's home till I leave this world. The heads are "186". I also thought it looked like it had never been opened up but after gettin it out so I could really look at it I think with 98% certainty that it has been opened up. I didn't pull the pan, just one valve cover as my body was really going down on me fast. I'm taking tomorrow to myself and spend the day riding in my Impala so hopefully Monday I can get back at it. I wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving.
The heads are likely original to the engine. It was rated at 10.25:1 CR but the actual CR is prolly in the 10:1 range. Give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (11-18-2012)

Tags
355, aluminum, heads, sbc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on cylinder heads sbc eric32 Engine 7 04-17-2011 06:28 PM
opinions on my 291 sbc heads turbolover Engine 6 12-01-2010 03:47 PM
Opinions on proper Plugs for SBC with aluminum heads y2k600f4 Engine 1 09-26-2008 07:09 AM
Opinions of world products heads? stonedchihuahua Engine 2 06-29-2003 10:20 AM
Opinions, best heads for a 383 Stroker dion Engine 3 01-20-2003 10:55 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.