Needed to finish TKO 600 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Needed to finish TKO 600

Hi everyone,
Well as may be clear by the end of this post I don't know alot about transmissions. I am redoing the engine in my Chevelle and would like to switch from the TH 350 to a man. trans. I have been looking around the web and on here along with talking to other people about some good man. trans. Anyways I started looking into the TKO trans it seems really nice and is just what I want. The 5th gear is nice because while my eninge (383 chevy) will be pushin out over 500 ft lb. ( I pick TO 600 for future upgrades) I would like to have that nice 5th gear for the not uncommon trip to hopefully save some gas lol.

Ok on to the real question here. I found this TKO 600 it is a little cheaper then the price listed at the TKO website. I just wanted to know what I would need to install this in my Chevelle I know it would need the bellhousing clutch ect. But what other things am I missing. I just wanted to know because I like to price things out ahead of time. I thank you all who help ahead of time. I can always count of great help here!

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Honestly I'm not to sure, just wanted to tell you that you own a KICK A55 tranny , I want one for my stang but need more $$$$
Old 10-22-2004, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

You'll need:
1. A bellhousing
2. Clutch disc & pressure plate
3. throwout bearing
4. clutch pedal and related linkage
5. clutch bellcrank (Z bar) and related linkage
6. a custom made transmission cross member
7. a custom made or shortened driveshaft
8. a pilot bushing/bearing
9. a flywheel
Old 10-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

That looks like a Keisler transmission. If you're serious about it have a look at Keislers website for a complete kit. It'll save you some frustration and possibly a few dollars. You can be sure of the transmissions origins too.

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transm...elle_68-72.asp

Larry
Old 10-22-2004, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

I beleive it's a Tremec TKO600 transmission like the transmissions Keisler sells. I have a TKO600 ordered for my '66 Nova. I was impressed with the completeness of the kit. They include a driveshaft, a custom crossmember,speedometer cable and gear for your particular tire/rear gear combination. Even the necessary floorpan to repair the hole you made in the floor to make room for the bigger transmission.
I didn't need the auto to manual conversionkit, so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I think they offer everything you need to convert an auto transmission car to manual.
They said it will be 6-12 weeks from order to delivery. I'm hoping for the lower end of that.
Johnny
Old 10-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Yea I saw those kits on that site they are the same trans. the kit does have the floor pan and everything witch is really nice. I just wanted to know though. johnnya said you would need a custom crossmember but on the site for the trans it saws it works with stock crossmember? I guess getting the kit could save a few $ in the end anything else I should know? Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Chris
Old 10-24-2004, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Chris,
I think you're right about the stock crossmember from a TH350 working with the TKO600. I didn't think about that because I wasn't thinking about converting from auto to manual.

I installed a Ford 302 with a C-4 auto transmission in an '80 Datsun 200SX back in about '82, which, of course, included building a transmission crossmember. It wasn't really a big problem, so I guess making one fit this conversion would also be pretty easy, but at my advanced stage in life, I tend to try to do things the easiest & quickest way. The Keisler set-up will provide me with everything I need to just bolt everything in place and I can retain my original Muncie transmission and all the related parts necessary to put it back original if I want to. Also, the Keisler transmission will come to me with the shifter in the original location so I can keep the factory console.

My next question is: what rear end ratio will be best for this set-up.. I have 3.42's in it right now, but I also have 3.73 and a 4.10 ring & pinions I can go to. I'm leaning toward the 3.73's...
Johnny
Old 10-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

I just read it on the site you can use the stock crossmember with the new 2004 TKO models they must have moved some stuff around but it seems that it is now a direct fit other then cutting out the tunnel or whatever to fit it in. I just wonder which would cost more. Cause you can buy the trans for 1600 but the kit is just about 3000 which is alot of money when ya think about it. You can get a WHOLE trans for 1600 but it cost 1400 for the rest of the stuff almost as much as the trans itself. I guess it's time to price around. Anyone know of any good places to buy trans stuff from?

Thanks.
Chris
Old 11-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny
Last photo:

If you go to TTC's website you can find a distributor in your area. I picked up my TKO 600 for 1600 plus tax.

If you check out www.5speedtransmissions.com they may have a write up on an install for you. I had to relocate and shorten the tongue on my crossmember.

You may want to check out Yearone for parts to convert yours to a manuel. I know they have kits for some applications (pedels, z-bar, and linkage parts).
Old 11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Yea I have seen the TKO 600 for 1600 which is pretty good price whrn you look at what other trans cost even though they can't take rear the beating this says it can. I just hate the fact that it seems to cost almost as much to get everything else you need. I guess I have to wait for good prices on diffrent parts and buy them as I can. Of course now I have no budget cause I bought heads lol $1200 GONE. Ahh the world o hot rodding

Chris
Old 02-11-2006, 06:35 PM

Hello Strikingthematch.

Where did you see the Tremec tko for 1600,- ??

Is that the lowest price?

It is an BMW M5 in Norway with 1000hp that goes with the tremec tko600 and the transmission seems to be impossible to kill!...

-Kennet-
Old 02-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny
Last photo:

Wow! I just checked the 5speedtransmission site out and he's now charging over $1900 for the trans. He was one of the cheapest guys to get one through.

I think there are two things going on here:
My first thought is that Tremec initially put them on the market at an upbeatable price, to build the trans reputation up. Now that they've been proven to perform reliably, more people want to buy one. And if you really want one, you will shell out the extra $300+. It is still a lot cheaper than the Richmond 6 speed which is not near as strong.

My second thought is the whole supply and demand issue. When I purchased the KTO-600 1.5 years ago, every body had them on backorder. I was told by a couple different shops that they would be in within 2 weeks and that everybody was having a hard time getting the TKO's.

Coast Driveline & Gear (Los Angeles, Ca area) had the best price at the time in my area and was also very cool to deal with. After over 3 weeks of waiting for what was supposed to be in "any day now" I found a shop in the same area that had one in stock, but I had to pay $50 more for it. And wouldn't you know that the day after I made to 300+ mile round trip to get the trans, Coast calls and says they finally arrived.

Good luck.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.