Needs some TLCI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Needs some TLCI

I have a 57' Chevy pickup that my wife's father gifted to me. It hasn't been cranked in roughly 15 years. I was wondering if anyone had any input on how I should go about trying to see if it will crank. The gas tank was removed and cleaned prior to storage. It still has oil in the motor and in the oil bath air filter. There is anti-freeze in it as well. I didn't know if I should try and crank it before changing all these things just to make sure it will start or flush everything before cranking.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would squirt some oil into the spark plug holes, and let it set for awhile, to let the oil soak in around the rings, ( couple of days) over that time period, keep putting in a little more oil.. check the carb , maybe take the top off and pour a little gas in around the accelerator pump, to soften the rubber up, and some in the bowl, put the top back on,, then see if it will turn over, if so ,,, do that a few times, and let as much oil blow out, then put some new plugs in it, then see if it will start, its gonna smoke like crazy, but try to keep it running for a minute or so,,, then drain and change the oil, when you put in the new oil,, maybe throw in a can of engine cleaner, to desolve all that gunk that has settled in,,
Then after a good warm up. ( if you get this far) drain the oil again and put in new oil,,
Hope you luck out and find it in good shape,,
is it a 6 or 8 cyl?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM

It's the 235.5 cu in inline 6. All my friends that know anything about motors say its one of the easiest to work on. So hopefully I can get it going without to much trouble. Thanks for the advise. Let me know if you think of anything else.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I'm in the process of putting dual Rochester one barrels and fenton headers on my 235 that's in my '56 GMC and it is a pretty decent motor to work on and find parts for. SEE PIC BELOW

Concerning the first cranking, I think that some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders thru the plug holes and let it soak for a while would be a good start and ?if? you can put a socket and breaking bar on the front pulley bolt and move it by hand a little bit it might save any damage and get the lubrication on the cylinders and rings even better but you might not be able to do that if it's frozen up.

Here is a link to a good Stovebolt Engine Forum and the members here have really helped me with my 235.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/

Good Luck and keep us posted.
meller

Last edited by wretched ratchet; 06-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Forgot to mention - - - as far as changing the oil and anti freeze out, I would wait and see if it turned over for you and then I would at least change the oil - - - - you never know how thick it may be from setting up that long - - - well worth the $$$$$

Pay close attention to the oil bath filter and how it works - - - the way that spring is in there means everything so go slow and pay attention - - - I got a new filter stainless filter at NAPA !
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Great looking motor. I can only hope mine will look like that one day. I have had a few people tell me about that Marvel Mystery oil. It's really funny you mention it. I have gotten some oil in the spark plug holes and I'm going to let it set for a few days. Maybe I can get it going in a week or so. I'll post some pics in a few days.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 AM

Last photo:

Cool, good luck with it !
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 AM

Well so far I have found out that my plug wires are bad im almost 100% sure. I'm getting power to the starter because the motor is turning over and I'm getting 11.8 volts out of the top of the coil trying to go to the distributor but its not coming through the wire itself. I tried holding the wire to the top of the motor while turning the motor over but I'm not getting any kind of arc whatsoever. The wires are correct from the diagram in the owners manual my father in law still had for the truck. So I guess keep fingers crossed about that being the problem. Thanks again to everyone for the advise so far.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Check your points...may be corroded

Budget RVs
Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

I've still got an ?antique? point file if you want to borrow it

If the motor is spinning over then that is a huge plus, however, auto electronics are not my forte' so I'll not offer any suggestions other than go slow check all the visible wires and replace if there's any doubt.

As I said before, parts are easy to find for this engine so don't let that be the thing that stops you.

WR

1-5-3-6-2-4 going clockwise - front cylinder being #1
Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the numbering on the cylinders. I have checked over all the wiring up the the point where I'm at. The points look great inside the cap. It looks like all the guts of the distributor were replaced not long before it was stored. I guess I gotta just keep tinkering with it. I got a little impatient on waiting to see about the engine turning over and a little encouragement from some friends as eager as I was to see if it would turn over. I'll update as soon as I get a little farther with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.