Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is it nesary to degree my cam?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woodman
I'm rebuilding a 283. I got a RV cam as suggested on this forum. I've rebuilt a couple of IHC V8s to stock specs and never heard of degreeing a cam. I got a kit off ebay that showed a Comp cam but what they sent me is a Melling, and other than break in hints there is very little info. Thanks
There should be a "cam card" included w/the camshaft that lists the specifications of that particular cam.

In order to verify that the cam is actually what it is supposed to be (you cannot tell by looking at it, or not even always by the stamped numbers), you degree it to see that the cam matches the cam card.

My thoughts are that on a cam like this there's not much to be gained by degreeing every lobe, but at the very least you should do an intake and exhaust lobe to verify the specs and to be sure the timing set, etc. are accurate, and to see that you don't have a tolerance "stack up" that will cause the cam to be out of phase.

If you find it is out a degree or two, this is the time to compensate for it by using a multi-keyway timing set or offset cam gear dowel bushings or an offset crank gear woodruff key to phase the cam correctly. This is also a good time to verify the timing tab and damper mark for TDC.