Hot Rod Forum banner

Neutral concern

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Camaro1968 
#1 ·
I noticed today that my car is difficult to push when put in neutral, it is a 2 speed aluminum powerglide. Fluid level looks fine, I put in Mobil ATF D/M fluid at the start of the season. Does anyone think it could be wrong fluid? Or something with the rear end post unit?

#3 ·
To determine if it is trans related or somewhere else, pull the driveshaft and try your push test.

Fluid alone won't cause the problem, but a bushing or planetary gearset in the trans may be going bad or galling itself up, creating friction where there is supposed to not be.

If it pushes hard with the driveshaft out, then look at the rear end or brakes for an issue, as the earlier post suggests.

Problems with the posi unit would not show when pushing in a straight line, only show up when turning.....just like pushing a racecar with a locked spool around a corner, the locked rear makes pushing and turning at the same time a real chore to those who are pushing LOL.

Brake or wheel bearing problems, wont matter if you are pushing straight or around a corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.